Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
MS Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
Photo Gallery

Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
HomeAquarelConversion • October 2013

October 2013

1st October 2013

I have to remove 44m2 roofing felt from my wooden hatches. I want to save them for later. The roofing felt was burnt on the hatches and on the den. This makes it totally water proof and solid. It also makes it a nightmare for me . With an axe, I tried to separate the den from the hatches...

4th October 2013

Knowing I can't save the hatches, I decided to remove the roofing felt and hatches with a crane. This means, ripping everything apart. I put a rope through the skylights and pulled the hatches of with a crane. The only risk was that the roof could fall into the ship or my neighbours boat. Once everything was on land, I could start with the cleanup and the welding. It will probably take three days to make the ribs and supports. No time to lose!

It goes quicker with a little help and some tools

7th October 2013

Owning a boat and maintaining it as a hobby is suffering.

Breaking down the entrance wasn't as easy as I expected

Luckily it didn't fall into the hold

Removing the remaining bits

The last bits have to be done today. Welding another four small pieces and some gaps. That was the plan for this evening. The las effort and energy I had left was spent today. I managed to keep my deadline. If I would ever do it again on such a short time period: NO!

Welding the 'merkels' to the den. This is the first part of the framework for the roof.

MY best friends at the moment: the clamp and the torch

Clamping the merkels and profiles together for welding

It is starting to look good, late at night ;-)

8th October 2013

After a week of hard work, it was time to put the metal sheets in position on the roof. This was an easy job. We moved the boat several times and lowered the sheets with my neighbour's crane.

The Aquarel is looking good without an entrance construction. She looks more and more like a traditional barge again!

Once everything was done, we had a drink and moved the ships by hand. I'm now near to land and my neighbour alongside. Since none of the engines worked it took some time and a lot of effort to swap the vessels.

10th October 2013

I'm happy the sheets were on earlier this week. I haven't see that many rain for years coming out in one day! I didn't have a look yet inside, but some water will have come in. I still need to weld the metal plates.

Welding near wood can cause fire. Welding and fire are well known to me after last year's incident aboard the Hornblower. I removed the sleeping accommodation at the back of my ship. It was rotten and to close to the bulkhead where I have to weld.

20th october 2013

There are still some holes in the roof of the back accommodation. Around a mast support, the previous owners used filler.

I removed the support, filler and chipped away most of the rust. I put a new plate on top and welded the roof. it wasn't easy, since every few centimetres, I burned another hole.

21st October 2013

I finalised welding the roof. The boat should be dry now if it rains. It gives me a good feeling to know you are safe for the winter. A metal roof is one of the milestones in the conversion of the Aquarel. Later that evening I continued closing holes in the roof of the back accommodation, a job I will continue with tomorrow when it is daylight again.

22nd October 2013

While I was welding, my mother sanded down the wheelhouse. It is still a nice weather, so we must take the most out of it.

Freshly oiled

Freshly oiled, looks good with some sunshine...

23rd October 2013

We cut up the remaining wooden hatches and put them in my car. In the afternoon, an entrance was made to walk from the back accommodation into the hold. This little change makes a big difference. You can now walk and run through the boat from one side to the other without having to go outside.

26th October 2013

After making an entrance through the back accommodation, I noticed some of the cabin metal was bended. By welding some supports, I made it stronger again. Where possible I straightened the metal as well. In the afternoon I painted the new supports and some of the older metal.

The wheelhouse got another coat of special paint for the roof. This paint is silicon based. Therefore water can't enter the wood. The wheelhouse itself got her second coat of oil, looking shiny again!


site mapcontactupdates
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.