1st November 2013
The plan is to build a new floor in the cargo hold by the end of the year. I want to be able to walk freely around. Step one was to remove the old flooring. Seems easy, just cut the planks and lift them out. Sadly enough, when they doubled the bottom of the ship, bolts were mounted through the original metal hull into that wood. This a method I've never seen before.
2nd November 2013
I bought some wood to temporary close some of the ribs. It is easier walking round and less chance to getting hurt!
The wooden frames are pine wood. To prevent any wood worm from entering the wood, I painted it. Since I already welded some side supports, I can now use them as a temporary table...
3rd November 2013
Welding the supports for the floor and the side does take more time then expected. I'm running out of clamps to hold everything in position. By the end of the evening I made a concept of the floor. WHile driving home I'm changing plans slightly again. I hope to alter it tomorrow evening.
7th November 2013
9th November 2013
Another job that needs doing is closing the windows on the boat. I don't like big windows in the hull and it is far from original. I have four windows in the hull. They have to go.
10th November 2013
In between all my other jobs aboard, I continued with the floor. It was raining, so no welding outside today. This is a major problem when winter time arrives: the weather!
11th November 2013
The windows are closed, so is the old entrance in the den. At the end of the evening I mounted the boxes for the navigation lights. The Aquarel starts to look good again!
12th November 2013
17th November 2013
I mainly worked on the floor, removing some of the old planks and welding the frame for the new ones. It is a slow job, but it must be done. After a whole day of working, you barely see any difference.
Once finished, they have their use
20th November 2013
The wheelhouse became a storage area, so does the hold and the back accommodation. After a few months of working, it is time to sort out my stuff!
23rd November 2013
There are so many little leaks in the boat. Most of them were nicely hidden by the previous owners. It took me a whole day to remove and close two portholes and two leaks in the old support of the towing mast - sleepmast -.
I decided to close the old outlet of the toilet. Most of the work was done yesterday. Today I welded a plate and bracket over the old pipe.
30rd November 2013
When I woke up, it was cold and a lot of wind was blowing. I wondered why I'm always getting up early to go working on an old boat...
Once you are aboard, this idea starts to disappear and the work takes it place. Today was no different. I painted the second part of the roof on the inside and prepared some work for the new floor. Since I was out of welding rots, I'll continue tomorrow.