Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeAquarelConversion • December 2013

December 2013

8th December 2013

The wheelhouse roof wasn't as dry as a I planned. I had a leak in the gap between the two sheets and the multiplex was not very water proof. It was painted on both sides, but started to show some signs of delaminating. I put on a roof in zinc. It looks old fashioned, just like the rest of the boat. But more important: it is dry inside!

14th December 2013

So after a busy week on other people's boat, and a heavy night partying, it was time to start working again! The plan was to continue on the floor, but a small leak in the wheelhouse decided me to alter plans.

The metal underneath the wooden wheelhouse is gone. It has rotten away the last fifty years. I could dismantle the wheelhouse and replace the metal. This is the best solution, but I don't have the time and the courage to do so. I removed the old silicon, polyester and rust. I sanded down the metal, painted it and filled everything with a good quality polymer silicon.

16th December 2013

Since the weather is good, I'm insulating the wheelhouse. I can put my tools outside while working, no rain no wind! I'm putting three centimetres of PUR insulation sheets on the roof. On top of this, some t&g wood will make the finish.

21st December

Time to close some more holes in the accommodation. The back accommodation is not that brilliant. Since I want to restore it to the original state, the metalwork has to be replaced and remade as it was. I'm not riveting, but welding. There is a limit on my budget!

23rd December 2013

The holes in the accommodation are closed. In the end more metal was replaced then planned. When I bought the Aquarel, she was looking good, everything nicely covered with paint. Sadly enough, there was more paint then metal left...


Picture taken in August

In the afternoon, I started on my first hatch. I need for hatches: Two for the entrance, one for the generator room and one for the central heater area. The weather changed quickly, so the job will be finished another day...

26th December 2013

I finally managed to finish the wood work in the wheelhouse. She looks as good as she could. The metal beam in the middle is now covered with wood, old wood from the interior of the Hornblower. The wood is mounted with copper screws. I reused the one I saved a few years ago when I dismantled the interior of my previous ship. It is nice to know that the effort I made is now worth it!


Detail of a picture where you can see the screws in the wood aboard the Hornblower

28th December 2013

In the morning I used some silicone to close the bigger gaps in the wheelhouse. In the afternoon, my parents came to help oiling the wood on the inside of the wheelhouse. It now looks like a proper wheelhouse again!

29th December 2013

The engine room doesn't smell well with the oil and water in the bilges. I mounted the air vents that came with the ship. I hop with some fresh air, it will make it easier working in the engine room the next couple of weeks.

The mast at the back of my ship broke when I turned around in Merelbeke. A friend salvaged the mast and she is now back on the boat!

.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 7 March, 2017 11:01 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.