Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeAquarelConversion • May 2014

May 2014

4th May 2014

My neighbour has given me the chance to remove the back accommodation (interior wise) from his ship. It will be redone with current standards and insulation. I can reuse most of it, but it will take me some time to remove it.

It is a dark interior from the fifties. There are some nice elements, but even the total concept is nice in some ways. Happily I have some space aboard my ship since I last cleaned it.

For some reasons I always want to save old pieces like that. They are becoming unique and this one hasn't been touched. It all stayed pretty much the same since it was built.

10th May 2014

The engine is probably broken. There is no more compression and I didn't manage to get her running. I have to come up with another plan. Will be continued....

The last hatch was finished in between periods of rain and dry weather. Most of my metal work is now done.

11th May 2014

Another day of removing the paneling and the nice bits of wood from that back accommodation. While breaking it down carefully, you start seeing how the shipyard built it. It gives me some new ideas.

14th May 2014

The weather hasn't been good for some days now. This evening, there was a little sunshine and it was dry. People made remarks to me that I had a rusty old boat. What they didn't know, it is new metal that needs to rust before you can paint it.

I painted the front shield of the den and the two new entrance hatches.

24th May 2014

A major step forward in the conversion of the Aquarel are mounting the windows. It was raining, the fittings for the gas bottle were wrong and I was tired from the day before when I cleaned the boat.

In the late evening, we managed to cut five holes to fit the windows. Once the holes were done, it was bright in the hold. Everything seemed much bigger. The downside of this operation is the damage of the sparks on my stuff. the hold is filled up with wood and furniture. This made it impossible to move everything. It is my fault to leave it like that, but there was no other solution. Don't fill the hold up before the conversion is finished ;-)

I had to use a tube of silicon to seal the windows properly. Since it was raining all day, I could test my windows for leaks straight away. Luckily there were none.

25th May 2014

Every conversion I'm doing, I always have some wood left. it is a shame to throw it away. Wood is expensive. The front of the Watergeus was filled with wood from previous jobs or recovered from boats at the scrapyard. I moved half of it to the Aquarel where I will need it in the coming weeks.

26th May 2014

The hold needs cleaning. There is so much dust from cutting the windows. Sadly enough, my hoover let me down so I did most with a brush. later that evening, I continued removing the accommodation from that other barge. I still need a whole week to finish that job. Keeps me busy ;-)

The more I think about reusing the wood, the more I start thinking I will no longer be able to reconstruct the walls. The longer I wait the more I will forget how it was assembled in the first place...

31st May 2014

Some good friends are coming tomorrow. I have to clean the hold and make a safe entrance for the children. I can only start doing this after we finished cutting the holes for the remaining windows. I started working at 4 o'clock in the morning and left my ship by 11 o'clock in the evening.

During the cutting of the remaining windows, I had twice a fire. One was quickly extinguished, the second was only discovered after a few minutes, giving it enough time to set a cover and some wood afire. I had some extra cleaning to do. The original portholes from the back accommodation are back in place. Nicely cleaned and properly sealed, it looks good!

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 7 March, 2017 11:01 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.