Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeAquarelConversion • November 2014

November 2014

1st November 2014

Nearly ready for my winter stop. It has been enough for this year. I must admit I haven't done as much as planned since August. Nevertheless I'm happy with what has been done.

Same mistake as on the Watergeus, I have no big entrance left to the hold for big stuff or artwork. So I needed a hatch for lowering stuff to the hold. The hatch can't be that high since my aluminium hatches must cover it. I want to look like a traditional ship and nothing is going to change this.

It took all day to build the hatch and mount it. I haven't tried it yet since it was dark when I stopped working.

3rd November 2014

Every minute I can work on the Aquarel, I'll try to do so. The ceiling is a major work. I have to do it alone and the sheets of multiplex are heavy. I already cut them in half, but even then, it is struggling to hold them while I add a few screws....

8th November 2014

Half a day, that is what I can spend on the boat this weekend.... I did some ceiling and painted the mast green. It was the only visible piece of metal that was looking rusty. At least, it now looks more acceptable to the public and the metal is protected. I will continue on the mast somewhere next year, once the inside of the ship is finished.

13th November 2014

It is not ok when you start abandoning your boat conversion for other things. Then again, I now realise more then before there is more then just working on a boat. Anyway, it was time to do something. Another few square meters of ceiling are finished. It is an intensive and annoying job. Insulation, multiplex and t&g, and from every layer, some dust gets into your eyes.

18th November 2014

Cleaning the hold is always a major issue with me. Somewhere next week we have to lower a big sheet of metal through the new hatch. Seems easy, but my wood supply lies underneath that hatch and my tools are located where I should put that sheet...

I have to much stuff in the hold...

22nd November 2014

Getting one sheet of 3m by 1.5m in the hold through a hatch of of 1m by 1.2m is not an easy job when you have no tools and only two people to do the job. It took some time, but after half an hour the sheet was in position and ready to be welded to the bottom of the frame. The frame is used to hold the watertanks in position and the sheet will make sure the water that could leak from the tanks is captured before it gets to the bilges of the boat.

Some more bits and corners were welded today. I make the promise to myself not weld the next month and just tidy up the ship. All metal is gone from the hatches, the lifeboat was cleaned and the mast painted. With a jack, I managed to lift up the mast for 40cm. This made it easier for giving it a second coat of paint.

23rd November 2014

First job was to clean the dirt that I made yesterday. Some water in the bilges, a lot of dust and some old wood. I was little motivated, so I didn't do much in adding some new wood to the sides. Will be for tomorrow...

.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 7 March, 2017 11:01 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.