Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeAquarelConversion • April 2016

April 2016

2nd April 2016

At the back of the wheelhouse is a small hatch. It contained the 'outdoor' kitchen of the ship. I removed the roof years ago, but I wanted something back. I started building a frame with some sheets, so the back of the wheelhouse stays dry and I could stand there whenever I wanted to.

6th April 2016

An old skipper made the remark the wheelhouse roof isn't looking right or traditional. I still had a search light left from a previous conversion and decided it was time to put it on the roof. This was a job I always tried to postpone since I'm afraid of creating a leak in the ceiling.

8th April 2016

Just another update with some pictures:

10th April 2016

I had enough trouble with finding a leak in the old accommodation. There was always some water. I had a closer look and discovered three small holes in the shield of the cabin. When I started chipping the rust, they became bigger. Welding was not an option. There was nearly no metal left and the chance of having a fire was to big. I sanded down the old paint, put a good coat of primer and put silicone in the holes. Many people will not agree with me on this solution, but if you come up with another option, please let me know!

While fixing the issue, my mother continued painting the inside and cleaning everything up.

13th April 2016

I continued on the small roof at the back of the wheelhouse. While working, I noticed a few of the nails that are holding the zinc roof became loose. I put an air horn on the side of the wheelhouse. Connecting it to a small compressor is another job for later.

 


<< March 2016

>> April 2016 (Part 2)

.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Monday, 20 March, 2017 10:44 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.