Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeEscapadeConversion • February 2011

February 2011

5th February 2011

There is some water at the back of the ship. It is no rain water and the shaft isn't leaking. The joint between the bottom and the back is leaking. Small rivets and a lot of rust. I wonder if my cutting and hammering last week didn't make it worse. I did cut out some old structured metal, and probably the best part of the ship...

6th February 2011: Measuring & cleaning

I just discovered there is some more water under the engine. I makes me think I might have another leak somewhere... Doesn't feel good. I can handle leaks from above, but not from underneath.

I used some black rubber to seal the small leakage in the joint. I hope it will stay dry.

Recently I had removed some metal from the Escapade. Since I only had half a day to work I cleaned the remaining parts at the back of the yacht. I did some measuring as well and removed some more rust.

-
After taking this picture, I removed the rust as much as I could

-
A few of the sheets of metal I will need

-
The future... (read more)

10th February 2011: Water tank

I removed the water tank from the Escapde. I now have complete access to the bilges at the back of the ship. It is a 220 liters RVS tank. Heavy but useful.

12th February 2011

In the late evening, I put a new cover over the Escapade to prevent rain from getting in. Doubtfully if it will work, but anything is better then it is now! Covers often mean the end of a ship. You hide the disaster from the public. Once the cover starts to disintegrate, you put another one on top of it. Doesn't look right, but it gives a false feeling of ignoring the problem.

14th February 2011

Most people will think that it becomes easier after a few boats to always do the same jobs. Well in some case it is true. Unfortunately, the Escapade is not easier at all. I'm even afraid it might become a bigger job then the Watergeus. If she had the same size of the Watergeus, the amount of work would be to much. Every day I'm discovering new problems. It seems like it doesn't stop!


Around the shaft, a lot of rust


One of the sides of the Escapde. It used to be a bench in front of it


Water tank lifted out and now on a wooden support

I removed some more wood from the side to discover the state of the vessel.

15th February 2011: interior no more

The interior of the Escapde is now gone. In 30 minutes, a friend and me removed the whole interior. Why? Well I discovered around 15cm of water in the bilges last night. I first tired hovering it out, but was to much. Once the interior was gone, I could estimate the amount of work needed to get everything clean. Once the bottom was visible, I noticed the condition was better then expected.


After 30 minutes


The interior: wood for the neighbour

19th February 2011: Rain and water

Again some water was visible in the bilges, while I cleaned it earlier that morning. It had been raining so much that I could gill a 12 liters bucket. The sooner I find all the holes in the side and roof the quicker I might get her totally dry.

21st February 2011: Bilge cleaning

As usual on a boat, one of th first job I always do is cleaning the bilges. It was no different with the Escapde... Different then with other barges, the Escapde was filled with led as ballast.


Led, rotten insulation, water and rust

22nd February 2011: Escapde and bilges

Another evening spent aboard the Escapde, cleaning bilges and removing rust. The ceiling of the bedroom was removed. The more wood I have removed, the more I discover. Melted insulation, burned wood and a black metal with some paint left. Cause of the fire must have been the electricity.


There must have been a fire at some point. Probably caused by the electricity

28th February 2011

I traced a previous owner of the Escapde. I finally know where she was built and when! He even has some older pictures of her. I can't wait to see them.

The Escapde was built in 1937 at the shipyard Van Lent en Zonen in Kaag.

 

<< January 2011

March 2011 >>

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 7 March, 2017 11:01 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.