Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen' and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications
 
Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She is being converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeHornblowerConversion • June 2011

June 2011

>> Part II

5th June 2011: Preparing the front for new windows

I mainly worked in the front area, cleaning the sides, removing the last bits of wood and cleaning the bilges. I bought six second hand windows and had to clean them as well. By the time I was finished it was to dark to take descent pictures. They will follow next time I'm there.

7th June 2011: Tracing History

While tracing the history of the Hornblower (Ex- Carpe Diem, Ex-Thunderhead) I contacted a few family members. I discovered the Carpe Diem was moored in Groningen at the Bloemsingel (Winschoterdiep).

On a site I found a few pictures taken in Groningen in 2003. Copyright belongs to the woman who took the pictures ('Morgen Ster 3 ' on Picasaweb):


In Groningen with some woonarken in the background

9th June 2011: Windows

I mainly helped placing the windows and cleaning the bilges. My first wood I ordered for the Hornblower arrived today as well.

It is always much easier to fit windows in blank steel. If there are already some holes cut it makes it twice as difficult. Lining out where they should be mounted took us some time as well.

Once the wood was delivered, I painted it to protect the wood from damp and wood worm. By the time I was finished, it was already 5 o'clock.


Windows in position


Windows in position


This side needs to done


More light is coming in

12th June 2011: Floor part I

In the early morning I cleaned most out of the bilges, and started building the frame for the wooden construction. I had to move around twice with all the wood, but I got very far in the evening.

I learned a lot while drilling the holes. You really need to be carefully where you drill. Or it becomes to close to the side of the rib, a rivet is blocking a bolt from entering, etc...

It is good working in Sluiskil. I know a few people there, but at least you can work without having to chat to everyone and be nice. I'm moored third in a row, so nobody really sees me.

13th June 2011: Floor part II

I continued cutting the sheets of Mulitplex and screwed them on the wooden frame. Because of the bad weather, not much welding was done today. I removed the wooden bulkhead / wall between the living area and the engine room. At the end of the day, the windows were not mounted and I had a big pile of wood.


The bulkhead in wood is gone, you can look into the engine room and wheelhouse


A pile of wood is all that remains from the bulkhead

I took some time off, or how else to describe it and went to see some friends in the area. After a while you need to change your mind for a moment.

14th June 2011

The third day aboard wes getting hard. Even you sleep well, it is not the same as at home. There is some comfort like a bed, toilet and shore power. At the other hand it is cold or to warm, a bed smell and a lot of shaking around in an unstable boat.

During the day we welded some more ribs in the boat to have a solid and straight construction. I grained the rib for the bulkhead of the engine room and cleaned some more bilges.

By the end of the day the windows were mounted permanent and glued as well.

As a finishing touch, the new mast was welded on the wheelhouse!


The mast I bought last week through a garage sale website

16th June: Bulkhead

After making a phone call, I heard the bulkhead was finished. I can't wait to see the progress. This means I can now start doing the final cleanup in the front, put grease on and start doing some proper woodwork.

>> Part II

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 11:00 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.