Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
MS Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
Photo Gallery

Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
HomeHornblowerConversion • July 2011

July 2011

<< Part 1 <<

22nd July 2011: Wood

My car was filled up with wood. Maybe I should have bought a little van instead of an Opel Corsa. I unloaded the wood, painted it with an alternative of carboline and loaded them aboard the Hornblower. It took me two hours, but it had to be done first. If you don't do it straight away, you just start using the wood without treatment.

Wood treated and drying in the sun

Since I want to clean the bilges, I started removing the wooden floor in the bathroom. I discovered a lot of trouble, maybe a little bit to many! Water around the toilet, water near the shaft, a rotten plate a bit further and damaged concrete...

This is the moment where you start doubting on the boat, the project and yourself.

23rd July 2011: Toilet pipe

I didn't sleep to well, thinking on how to solve the trouble. The toilet was removed, as everything else. I decided to do it properly, so everything had to go! The toilet pipe was leaking, at least the plastic bit. It is now sealed and welded. Gives me a much safer feeling! One hole less in the boat.

We started breaking out the windows, cutting the metal to the right shape and that was it for today. After we removed the windows, the metal around it was looking bad. It was thin. Last weekend I posted in my blog some pictures of the leaking windows, well the result can be seen now.

The result: I raised five centimetres at the stern

The bathroom: A real battlefield

The toilet pipe: straight out into the canal

I had another look and when the whole area was cleaned, it didn't look to bad. There is nothing that can't be repaired.

24th July 2011: Living room

Breaking down isn't always nice. Sometimes I like it, on other occasions I want to be constructive. I did some timber and insulation work in the front. One top side of the living room is now nearly finished. A skipper came and gave me the advice to lower the bathroom floor, by removing the exhaust of the engine. It gives me 8cm of more space, just enough to stand up, or at least for me...

Woodwork in the living room

Woodwork in the living room

When it was dry, I removed the remaining kit from the windows and sprayed some paint where we welded last week. I don't mind that the boat is painted in several colours. What I do mind is rust!

Hatch: Painted where it has been welded

25th July 2011: Evaluation

I have the boat now for three and halve months. I spent a lot of money, it took me a lot of spare time to get so far. When the windows in the back are replaced, the boat can be called dry. I don't see anymore leaks from rain water. The bottom is fine, she was doubled by a previous owner. In September I want to replace the wheelhouse windows and start working on the engine.

If everything goes as planned, I hope to make my first trip next year. She won't be finished, but at least I should be able to make a journey with the Hornblower.

Having worked on several boats in the last year, I can think this one being the biggest success for me. Some advice for starters: Make sure you have place to sleep aboard while working. When you are tired, you can go to bed without driving several miles! When there are nice people around you, it goes much quicker as well. You don't loose motivation.

29th July 2011: Windows

We worked on the windows in the bathroom. The floor was lowered yesterday.

30th July 2011: Bathroom

I built a floor in the bathroom. It makes it easier walking around. The floor is bolted since I need to take it away to clean the bilges and to rebuild the exhaust.

The shaft is at one point higher then the floor. It will not become a major problem since the stairs are above the shaft. I'm happy with the lowered floor. It makes a difference of 20cm's. This means I can stand up without hitting the roof with my head.

The bathroom floor

31st July: Railing and living room

On Sunday, I always try to do a constructive job: wood work in the living room. I finished the wall near the bulkhead and started building the frame on the other side. While working, I discovered the windows are not on the same location on each side. Starboard side starts at 60cm from the bulkhead, while the windows on the portside at 80cm.

The living room

My stainless steel railing

Finally getting there

site mapcontactupdates
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.