Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
MS Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
Photo Gallery

Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
HomeHornblowerConversion • December 2011

December 2011

1st December 2011: Sheets of metal

On the Internet I found a small advertisement about some sheets of steel for sale. The man had five of them left. I just have enough for the wheelhouse floor and to make some flooring around the engine. They are now on the deck of the Watergeus and will probably stay there till I'll need them. Every sheet is nearly 100kg!

2nd December 2011: Water tanks

I found some affordable water tanks in Rotterdam. I went to collect them today. They are the right size for the Hornblower. I needed some tanks that are not more then 54cm wide, since the door opening is that size.

3rd December 2011: Bathroom

I painted the bathroom and finished some remaining parts of the woodwork.

4th December 2011: Living room

In the afternoon I worked on the living room, putting on damp foil, tape and tongue & groove wood to finish the sides. This little job turns the living room straight away into a livable space.

It was already late at night when I stopped working

5th December: Living room

I started on the other side of the living room. I didn't get as far as I planned, but following the curve of the ship takes a lot of time.

I wonder how much time the bathroom will take. This area has several corners, and different curves....

It took me five years to convert the Watergeus with the help of my parents and some friends. The original plan was to convert the Hornblower in three years. If continue at this rate, she might be ready by next winter. I've now run out of wood and money, so this might stop me for some time...

11th December 2011: Living room

Most of they day was pent on the t&g wood in the living room. There is always something I've ran out of. It is always something: tape, nails, wood, patience, ....

17th December 2011: Rain

It had been raining all week? There was a lot of wind. The only water that came in was through the wheelhouse doors and windows. It felt good to know the boat is dry!

In the morning I did some T&G in the living room, in the afternoon I went to pick up my new car.

27th December 2011: Living room & Wheelhouse

In the evening I started breaking down the wheelhouse. With a saw, I cut the wall into several pieces. Behind the wall I discovered some kind of earth. I believe it was wood one day...

28th December 2011: Wheelhouse

In the morning I removed the floor in the wheelhouse. Together with my neighbour, we put the metal sheets aboard the Hornblower. If I need them, at least, they are inside and easier to get in position. They have a weight of 90kg each and very heavy to handle.

In the afternoon, I started cleaning the bilges. There is so much that needs to be done. Actually, I just don't know where to start. The tanks need to be mounted to the ceiling, the bilges need a good clean, the engine is dirty, there a re hundreds of meters of electricity wires hanging around, there is plenty of wooden floor left in the engine room, etc....

29th December 2011: Wires and bilges

Before I can get to the bilges, I need to remove all the wiring from the ceiling. Most of it has fallen down already. At lunch time, I've just finished removing the wires. The bilges are now dry (a little damp at the most). Cleaning will be for another day...


site mapcontactupdates
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.