10th March 2012
It was time to clean the boat. After working on several little things, it was becoming hard to find back my tools and to walk without breaking anything.
17th March 2012
I bought some fittings for the cooling system. Since I want to finish the hatch on the Watergeus first, I'll try to mount the cooling somewhere next week. I bought a filter for the cooling as well. People advised me to do so in case, I'm moving the boat in un deep water. Mud and sand will first enter the filter before getting trapped in the engine.
I also want to mount a deck wash on the same system for cleaning the deck.
22nd March 2012: Cooling
The cooling of the engine was a quick fix in october. It got damaged by the frost in February. I bought some new pieces, fittings and tools to do the job properly. WHen I was finished it looked good. A few hours later, the back area was filled with at least four cm of water. One of the fittings was not properly sealed or cracked. I didn't take any risk and removed my whole system. I put back on the original tap. I'll give it another try tomorrow.
23rd March 2012: Cooling II and anchor winch
I redid the cooling in the morning. This time everything stays dry!
The cooling has a filter
Some people recommended me to put a filter. When you are moving the boat in shallow water, mud can enter the cooling system. With this filter, I hope to prevent to much coming into the engine.
Drilling the holes for the anchor winch
In the evening I bolted the anchor winch to the deck. When I have some time, I will replace all the bolts with RVS versions. I did the same thing on the Watergeus a few years ago.
24th March 2012: Living room
My father came to help me with te t&g wood in the living room. With two people, a job is done more quickly!
26th March 2012: Water through the engine
I managed to connect the newly mounted water supply to the engine. I've briefly started the engine and water ran through. I had no puddles of water underneath the engine. This means she survived the winter nicely!
27th March 2012: Bulkhead
There was a big steel plate on the Watergeus. It is in my way for the bbq on Saturday. Therefore it ha to be cut in two smaller pieces. I still need a bulkhead at the back of the engine in the Hornblower. I cut a third of a bulkhead out of the plate. It is now in position with clamps. If I have some time tomorrow I might start welding it.
When this will be finished, together with welding the engine room ceiling, all of it should be a totally sealed room. I bought a hatch last Sunday to enter this area. I will put two air vents from the outside to get some air for the engine and generator.
I still don't know what to do around the shaft to make it sealed as well.