Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
MS Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
Photo Gallery

Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
HomeHornblowerConversion • June 2012

June 2012

12th June 2012: Engine room

I've started raising the fuel tanks. I dropped them in the engine room a month ago. I should have made the supports before lowering them, something I really regret now! It took me all day to create a solution.

13th June 2012: Engine room

14th June 2012: Strengthening the boat

The wall between the kitchen in the wheelhouse and the bedroom is in metal. It is an extension of the bulkhead. I'm welding everything together to strengthen the ship as much as I can. I have the metal, I can do some welding, it is ballast for the boat and she becomes stronger...

In the late afternoon, I got bored of engine room work and welding. I took some gray paint I had left from the Watergeus and painted the roof bits of the Hornblower.

15th June 2012: Removing old exhaust pipe

The wheelhouse floor must keep the smell and fumes out from the engine room underneath it. It's just welding meters and meters of L-shape on the floor and the side of the cabin.

Everything that has been welded must be painted to avoid rust

The exhaust for the engine is still leaking. I want to put a water cooled exhaust to have less noise and smoke. It took me a few hours to cut up the old one and take it from underneath the bedroom floor. I discovered three holes in the pipes and two more in the silencer.

16th June 2012: Bedroom

The hardest room for planning is the bedroom. It is a small area, there are a lot of technical issues and I have no idea how to design it. The biggest issue is the size of the bed. I want to build a normal sized bed. I removed some of the previous made paneling. I will turn the bed in the other direction.

18th June 2012

I'm still struggling with the bed. I decided to make a wooden frame with the same dimensions of a normal bed. It gives me then a real impression on the size and the room space. The normal trick i'm using is chalking the bed or furniture on the floor. Only this time, I can't. There is to much stuff laying around.

19th June 2012

With the little time I had today, I managed to drill a few holes for the framework of the bedroom. I have to keep moving the ballast all the time. I knew when I got it, it was to early. At the other hand it was free and I had to take it then.

I lowered the wooden frame of the bed to see how much space i'm loosing. It seems to be acceptable.

20th June 2012

The wall or bulkhead is nearly finished. I cut the last pieces of metal and started welding them. Welding on a partly converted boat, which is full of tools, covers, wood and dust is always a risk. I was very carefully after last month's fire in the engine room. It took me some time to get a result since I had to bend a small plate over a short distance. Using enough clamps is helping!

23rd June 2012

I finally finished the top bit of the bulkhead between the bedroom and the wheelhouse. It took some to get the curve, bend the metal and weld everything to a solid construction.

24th June 2012

The weather is not good at all. When there was no rain, I started cutting up my last metal plate. I want to finish the bulkhead of the engine room.

In the late evening, I made a little experiment with green paint. I have a look tomorrow to see if it is successfully and looking nice.

26th June 2012

I started painting one side of the ship. I will use gray, black and dark green. It is just an experiment. If it doesn't look good, I'm going for another colour.

27th June 2012

I ran out of paint yesterday. After going to the shop I painted some more...

28th June 2012

I finished one side of the hull of the Hornblower. She looks like it should be.

site mapcontactupdates
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.