Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen' and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications
 
Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She is being converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeHornblowerConversion • November 2012

November 2012

3rd November 2012: Rain and leaks

It has been raining continuously for nearly a weak. I was home, in bed but with worries about my three leaking windows.

When I had a look in the boat, I discovered many more leaks. Two portholes were leaking, they were always dry before. The air vent in the living room, the three windows in the wheelhouse, the search light, the brackets of the hatch on the front of the ship, etc...

There was some sunshine in the afternoon. I used this period to close the leaks and to weld the brackets of the hatch properly. It was everything except a nice experience today.

4th November 2012: Painting

A little positive note today: There were a few leaks less then yesterday and I solved some more.

I finished the bedroom. It is now ready for painting. Once she is painted, I can finish the frames around the windows and put the floor.

5th November 2012

While the old windows were in the wheelhouse, most of the metal work got badly damaged by leaks. I removed the rust, and put a lot of rubber to protect it. I believe in paint when it is a dry area. I never know if the new windows will leak one day. When there is an interior it takes a long time before you realise it. Therefore I'm using rubber. It becomes hard after a few days. The only way to remove the rubber is a slap tool or a torch.

6th November 2012

A problem these days is it becomes dark very early. When I'm back from work, I need to put on lights to work. It is not as nice as daylight.

10th November 2012

I've been working with no structure or plan for a while. The project is getting near to it's end. Everything is falling together now and I could finally start thinking about finishing the bedroom. The wood got a first coat of primer.

Most of the multiplex is finished in the wheelhouse. I still have one leaking window. I didn't put any wood around that window. Where the multiplex is finished, I'm now putting t&g wood.

17th November 2012

 

18th November 2012

I mainly worked in the wheelhouse.

.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 11:00 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.