5th March 2016
One of the first jobs that had to be done was removing the plastic windows and replace them with proper aluminium windows. I always used RAFA windows because of their quality. They are expensive, but if you look around, they are easy to find second hand. Last year I bought four windows. This means I have two more to find. Since I have some portholes left, I will put in two portholes. Saves me some money.
Closing one window.
Two RAFA windows in position
Didn't have time to seal them. Just some tape will do it for the moment
17th March 2016
The current wheelhouse is ugly and not solid. It is big and made out of the wrong materials. The previous owner built it to double the inside space of the ship, a nice idea. I would like her to look a bit more traditional. Separating the wheelhouse from the accommodation and having a descent engine room. The current floor is built on the engine.
I estimated removing the wheelhouse would be a two day job. I'm only half the man I used to be...
18th March 2016
I had the assistance of some friend to remove the remaining part of the wheelhouse. In the meantime, I started building the entrance. A had two metal doors and a sliding hatch from another ship. It looks traditional, but there is a lot of work to make it fit. At some point, I started doubting whether I should use it or not...
Removing the panels in the early morning
Presenting the hatch
The doors mounted
The next project will be the engine room
At the end of the day, some paint made the difference