Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen' and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications
 
Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She is being converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeOp Hoop van Zegen Conversion • July 2016

July 2016

2nd July 2016

The freshly welded parts were painted, also the parts where the primer was damaged. I cleaned the engine room, as far as possible, and painted the new metal on the inside. The problem with this engine room is the heat. It is so hot inside, you can only stay there for 15 minutes before having to take a break.

I emptied the bilges and hovered the dust away. It was a clean engine room in January and since the removal of the old wheelhouse in March, it became a mess. Rain, leaves, metal, etc... all entered the engine room. A next step will be to clean and check the engine.

3rd July 2016

I spent most of the day at work. In the evening I managed to give the engine room a first coat of white paint. Looks much larger now.

While I couldn't sleep I put four more sheets of plywood to the ceiling and some insulation. Halve of the ceiling is now done.

5th July 2016

I only had some time free this evening, enough to do some small work on the framing around the windows. Since it was becoming late at night, I decided not to cut to much wood and wake up the neighbours.

6th July 2016

Again a small amount of time spent aboard making the frame. I finished the wooden construction around the second window.

8th July 2016

The wall for the bathroom is done. A frame, insulation and plywood. I started with the side wall, but it was getting late, so, this is a job for tomorrow. I had plenty of old rubbish hanging around, so the last hours of daylight were spent on cutting up the rubbish and putting it in bags.

9th July 2016

I finished the frame for the bathroom and even mounted the door. I don't have enough plywood to finish the walls, but you can now clearly see the size of the bathroom. I used sheets of volkern (trespa) for the floor. Solid and waterproof, but extremely hard to drill a screw through.

10th July 2016

I ran out of screws today. I noticed that ever sheet is connected to the frame by 38 screws. That's why I managed to use 500 screws in two days time.

11th July 2016

Every wooden panel that is linked to the bathroom needs a coat of paint. The bathroom is about to be tiled, but in case some water might get through the joints, the wood will at least be protected. I painted a few panels.

The next job was to mount the fusebox and to mount the power connector on the outside of the ship. It took me most of the day to get this job done.

Fusebox paint power

21st July 2016

A National Holiday, but not to me. Time to start with the wheelhouse. After a whole day of working, I managed to get the metal frame nearly ready. It looks big, I hope the shape and proportions will be right. A wheelhouse attached to a back accommodation of a den looks smaller then one built stand alone.

23rd July 2016

The engine room entrance is an old hatch, just about my size to get in. In case of a fire or I need to lower something bigger, it is to small. I can always open the big skylight, but this takes two man and time. I built a construction with a bigger entrance to the engine room. Compare it with a very small back accommodation.

24th July 2016

Another day of welding. In the late afternoon, five friends came to help me mount the wooden part of the wheelhouse. I had an idea of doing it with two people, but I certainly needed all five. Sadly enough the wooden wheelhouse didn't fit the frame. It took me three hours t make something acceptable. I have to adjust metal and wood, probably a few extra days of work...

25th July 2016

A wheelhouse without a roof doesn't look right. I went to the shop, bought two sheets of plywood and some aluminium profiles to go around them. The shop was able to cut the sheets the right size; Saved me a lot of work and time and their service was free. The aluminium profile has a U-shape. I fill the gap between the two legs with silicone and puss the side of the plywood into the gap. If it rains, water can't get to the side of the sheets. Plywood can be used outside for a while, as long as the sides don't get into contact with water.

26th July 2016

I continued welding the wheelhouse. A few hours later and two corners were filled, some ribs mounted and some holes closed.

31st July 2016

 


<< June 2016

>> August 2016

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 11:00 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.