Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeConversion • July 2006

July 2006

1-2nd July

I Didn't work that much this weekend. I had some problems of a shoulder injury. The previous owner came by and it was to hot to work. At least, I cleaned the last parts of the engine room floor. It was a bit more then I thought, another 300 liters... Now you can eat from it!!!

Bilges engine room
Clean bilges in the engine room

I cleaned my deck, tidied up my ropes and started the engine. The best advice I could give to you: run your engine at leas every three months for an hour or more. That should keep her running for a long time!

The weather was so nice, I decided to take a swim around my ship. She looked so massive from the water. Sadly I don't have a water prove camera.

Boat at night
View from the other side of the dock

7-8-9th July

The boat was dry-docked on 4th July 2006 for repairs. She was still looking good. Since my neighbour was on holiday with his boat, I had plenty of time to work on my ship. I started cleaning the part of the cargo hold, closest to the engine room. This section was also covered with oil from her period pre December 2005.

Dry-docked for a second time
View from the wheelhouse, taken from above

Stern at the yard
The rudders and back accommodation

After cleaning the bilges and the sides, the old electricity was removed and a new coat of paint was added. This part of the boat will become the Technical space with water tanks and generator.

Fresh coat of paint
A fresh coat of paint in the new technical space

Sleeping was again no option, so I worked all night. That's the good thing about shore power, even when it is dark, you can continue to work. Some lights and music were enough for me to finish one corner.

11th July

I checked the repair works at the yard. They had started mounting some plates to the bottom of the ship. At noon, the yard called me. Since their was a risk of fire and the men of the yard saw smoke coming out of the boat, they wanted a key, so they could inspect the boat if their would be a fire risk...

at the yard
New plates at the bottom of the boat

At the yard
New plates at the bottom of the boat

At the yard
The equipment and the bow of the Watergeus

18th July

Another inspection of the works took place today. Most of the hull repairs were finished. Two people were cleaning up the new welded plates with a grainder.

Welding the hull
Welding the last bits...

Grainder
Cleaning up with a grainder

21-22-23th July

A long weekend, three days of hard work with an average temperature of 42°C. Since Tuesday the rudders had been repainted. They look much better now!


Freshly painted rudders

The second part of the Technical room was painted. I put the metal floor back in that space. Since this area is clean now, I decided to move my engine spare parts from the engine room. Everything looks clean now, so it gives me a more comfortable feeling. I don't like working in a messy engine room.


A clean engine room, just needs a bit of paint


Both sides of the Technical room are painted now

At the other end of the boat, the bilges were cleaned and painted. Next week, I put a floor in that area as well. It is to dangerous to walk on the ribs, one moment of not paying attention is enough to fall and break a leg.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.