Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
MS Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
Photo Gallery

Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
HomeConversion • March 2009

March 2009

Important (What I learned this month):
  1. I

4th March 2009 : Running the engine

I'm planning to put a control panel in the near future. They called me today and asked if it would suit for me to mount it next week. I had ran my engine in early january to put some anti freeze in the system. Since the hardest part of the winter is over, I ran her again to check if everything was good and so it seemed!

Since I still have an old broken panel that can't be removed, I have to build a new box on the other side of the steering wheel. This means I have to clean up the wheelhouse, another job that needs finishing quickly.

5th March 2009: Mounting the waterpump

The plan was to mount the waterpump. By the end of the evening, I nearly finished the support, but I was unable to mount the pump itself. It took more time then I expected, but it is a solid construction that could easily hold my own weight.

7th March 2009: Small work

While I went shopping in the morning, plumbing needs a lot of tools and pieces, my mother painted the three doors in the corridor.

In the afternoon I had some visit from an English couple living on a tjalk. It is always interesting and fascinating to exchange ideas and experiences on boats. Later that day I finished the entrance to the hold. It is not yet the result I wanted, but I don't have to much time to spend another day on this little area.

8th March 2009: Tar...

Finally finished the support and I also mounted the pump. The bilges underneath the water tank are not in an optimal condition and the chance of having water from the tanks onto them is real. So I decided to put tar in the bilges and put it quit thick as well. Since I was dirty anyway, I painted some weaker places on the hull as well. Where a tier is hanging, most of the tar was gone. Also the rivets welded received an extra coat.

In the late afternoon I repaired my old compressor that had been under water for three years till we discovered the ship in December 2005.

12th March 2009: Control panel

Today, a new control panel was mounted in the wheelhouse. New wiring from te engine to the wheelhouse and from the sensors to the engine were placed. The engine ran beautiful and the meters showed no problem. This gave me a good feeling, since we had always ran the engine without having any kind of indication, except for smoke and noise.

A simple new control panel

14th March 2009: Finishing the electricity

The remaining cables were mounted today, and a few sockets connected. Three more fuses were needed, but the electricity is ready and working! While many people warned me for the cost of electricity, it certainly is not the major cost on a ship. Fuses and the fusebox are expensive, but there are worse things on your ship to spend money on, like central heating and metal work.

The corridor was painted as well

15th March 2009: Living room

Maybe it was the first year of the day to sit outside, but I still had a lot of work to do. I drilled a hole through the bulkhead to pass a water pipe. It took me ten minutes of drilling to get through.

18th March 2009

Instead of working, I just sat outside reading a book. That's what makes living on a boat so nice.

21st March 2009: A good feeling

The living room had been finished. A least phase 1, since next month we would like to put the finishing touch, the pine wood and paint it.

The entrance was finished as well, so is the little storage space underneath the stairs. The area for the boiler received the final flooring as well.

Support for the boiler

22nd March 2009: Emptying the hold

Since we need a lot of space to finish the living area, all the tools and parts had to go. This is a big job that will take me several days to do.

28th March 2009: Last door in position

I had to wait till most of the stuff was out (or in) to mount the last door in the living room. It divided the entrance from the living area. It is a double door in the same style as the other ones with glass panels.

Double door in position

It took us nearly all day to get everything in place. The doors were a few centimetres to wide to fit, so we had to redo a wall. The result of a lot of work looks good!

In the late evening I continued on the shower in the bathroom and to finish a successful day, I emptied the rest of stuff from the living room.

There is just no good angle to take a descent picture...

29th March 2009: A barge that suits me does take 5 years

With the living room entering its last stage, th bathroom paneled and all doors fitted, you now perfectly see the end product, a lovely barge that is exactly as I wanted it, my style, my arrangement of the rooms, ...

2007: Windows in position, hatches ready

2009: The living room, getting emptier every day

Three years ago, when I started I talked to a few people. One of them was already working on his barge for ten years and said I would certainly need 5 years to finish it. At that stage, I nearly laughed at him. Five years is way to much. Now, I'm thinking this man might be right, it could all end up to become 5 years...



site mapcontactupdates
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.