Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeConversion • February 2011

February 2011

5th February 2011: Back accommodation

Tiling was finished on the floor in the bathroom and toilet. The ceiling of the sitting area and the walls got their wallpaper. The shower crane was mounted and a part of the wheelhouse was sanded down. Briefly written what was done today.

11th February 2011: Meeting in Ghent

Again a meeting for the Vlaamse Woonschepen. It is important for the organisation to continue to exist.

My mother spent a whole day oiling the inside of the wheelhouse. It starts to look good!


I made a small box to hide the radio equipment


The entrance to the back accommodation


The new control panel. Some more witches for the lights will follow one day...

12th February 2011: Finishing touch...

The whole morning I went shopping, or should I rather say: wait at the info desks of the shops.

In the afternoon, I finished the walls, adding a little piece of wood to hide any possible errors I made earlier during the conversion...


The bedroom


The toilet room

13th February 2011: Colours

The back accommodation of the Watergeus is nearly finished. It is time to start thinking about curtains, paint and other coloured items. My girlfriend is the perfect person for this. She choose the colours and I must admit, I like them!

23rd February 2011: Windows in wheelhouse Watergeus

I replaced three windows of the Wheelhouse of the Watergeus. They were al broken when I bought here. It was now time to replace them with a decent solution.


One of the new windows

The toilet was tiled and the ventilator for the bathroom connected.

Two years ago, the old Scheepsdalebrug was removed. In the morning, one of the two big supports for the bridge was mounted. I took some pictures while I was working outside.

In the afternoon I continued with the bilges of the Escapde.

25th February 2011: Small jobs

In the morning I filled up my water tanks, a job that takes four hours. While they were filling, I cleaned one of my storage rooms. Since I need to break down the bedroom in the Escapade, all my tools and stuff that was located there needs to get to the Watergeus.

The afternoon was completely sp ended on removing pain on the Escapade.

26th February 2011: Nearly there...

One tile was replaced today. It was broken by drilling a hole yesterday evening. The toilet was mounted, the wheelhouse woodwork finished and the last corner of the floor sanded. A few bits of wood needed a primer and the area was cleaned.

What needs to be done the next weeks: Plumbing in the engine room, painting and getting the kitchen in!

In the evening I started cleaning the inside of the yacht. I used steel brushes and a hammer to remove rust and paint.

27th February 2011: Tired

I was looking for a few metal drilling bits when I noticed some water under my engine. First, I taught it was rain water, but very soon I noticed it came from a different area, the propeller. Friday afternoon, I ran my engine for an hour,so I know what caused the leak. Only it didn't stop. Looking closer, I noticed the belt of the automatic grease pump was broken. I now quickly used the manual pump, but water continues to drip. I'll have a look somewhere next week.

A bit more positive news on the Escapde, even with the heavy rain from last night, not much water had come in. I now properly sealed most of the holes on deck.

Thinking of what needs to be done this year, painting the outside of the Watergeus, going to the yard with my two boats, building a new upper structure on the Escapde, I realise it will be a bit to much for one person.

First of all, I want the back accommodation to be finished, so people can rent the area. Whenever the weather permits it, I must paint the outside of the Watergeus. It has now been three years and without maintenance it doesn't look good anymore.

If the Escapde stays dry, i'm not in a hurry converting her. She will take a large amount of my budget.

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.