Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeConversion • March 2012

March 2012

2nd March 2012: Welding

Two plates were cut. They will form the sides of the box for the generator. I started welding them as well. It will make it more solid.

10th March 2012: Cleanup II

The front cabin was used for storing wood, tools and other bigger items. After sorting everything out, It was put in the front storage area or thrown away. A neighbour came to pick up what he could use. The rest is now gone.

11th March 2012: Welding

I continued welding on the front hatch. I drilled a few holes to bolt the generator to the deck. This was not a real success. I have to reconsider how to mount the generator.

17th March 2012: Cleaning underneath the hatches part I

The area between the metal roof and the hatches had never been painted before. I used it as a storage space for metal, tools and ropes. Today, we cleaned half of the area. Most of the metal has been lowered in the engine room. It does not only helps for the weight (propeller needs to be under water), all my metal is now in one place.

Once the area was cleared, I cleaned it with a metal brush and put some Zinga paint on the bare metal. I hope it will last several years!

18th March 2012: Hatch

I made a simple design for the hatch / cover of the box. Two T-profiles were welded to the side of the box. On those profiles, a sheet will be sided. This sheet is also the cover. It is not waterproof yet, but it will at least stop most of the rain from getting to the generator.

While cutting the metal for the hatch, my grainder gave up on me. It is now the second tool that breaks down in less then a week. I guess they are become old...

19th March 2012: Front of the box

I cut up another sheet of metal, now for the front. It took me some more time then usual since the plate was thicker and my spare grainder started smoking and shaking.

23rd March 2012

The remaining deck underneath the hatches has been cleaned and painted. I also painted the box of the generator to prevent it from rusting. I only had a thin of yellow paint left, so I used it.


One of the hatches for the box


Before cleaning the roof


Painting after a good cleanup

 

 

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Monday, 18 September, 2017 11:53 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.