Living afloat
The story of the Luxe Motor Watergeus, the Groningse snik Hornblower, the Historische klipperaak Aquarel, the lemmeraak 'Op Hoop van Zegen', the Friese maatkast Tordino and how to convert a Dutch barge into a houseboat.
 
MS Watergeus
Watergeus
The Watergeus is my home. It's an old Dutch Luxe Motor, built in 1929. She was about to be scrapped when we bought her...
History
Conversion
Photo Gallery
Specifications

Books
 
Living Afloat
(and old stuff - outdated)
Living Afloat
Living Afloat gives you free ideas on what you need to know about barges, how to buy them, how to convert them, etc..
Recognize a barge
Buying a barge
Converting a barge
Barge to the yard
Safety on a barge
Converted barges
Barge stories!
Waterways & harbours
Questions?
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Links
 
Photo Gallery
 
 
MS Tordino
The Tordino is a Friese Maatkast built in 1922. She is being converted into a floating museum.
 
MS Aquarel
The Aquarel is an authentic klipperaak from 1916 converted for exhibitions and with a permanent small museum of maritime artifacts. She was sold in 2016 and is now a houseboat in Zaandam.
 
MY Op Hoop van Zegen
Op Hoop van Zegen
The 'Op Hoop van Zegen' is a lemmeraak from 1916. She was converted into a classic looking yacht.
 
WEBLOG
I spent most of my time in or around boats. Read what I'm doing!
MS Hornblower
The Hornblower was a project of converting a snik into a yacht. I sold her in 2014 to start another project.
 
HomeConversion • February 2017

September 2017

28th September 2017

There is a lot of pitting on deck. It has been there before I bought her, but it is hard to maintain and I believed the metal was weak underneath. While chipping, we discovered it was rotten. Some parts on deck have been doubled where it was the worst. Other parts will be done at a later stage since I ran out of metal. Most of my spare parts are still on Tordino.

Between the engine room and the storage unit used to be a bulkhead. It was removed when the Watergeus became a water supply ship. In february, I rebuild most of the bulkhead. The bottom plate had to be done, but there were some pipes running through from an old fuel tank. We disconnected the fuel tank, so I can easily remove the fuel pipes and the old fuel pump.

In the afternoon, we managed to get the anchor winch running again. She was stuck. After removing the brakes and spraying a lot of wd40, she started turning...

I made two holes in the wheelhouse for the wiring. To prevent rain from coming in, I welded two rvs pipes. Some brackets for the lights were mounted and the day was over...

Some friends moored alongside late in the evening, we had a drink and time to close the day!

29th September 2017

A job I was hating was removing the old wiring. I had to check very wire there was. No matter how carefully I was, the light went out in the engine room anyway.

 

 


<< February 2017

>> October 2017

 

 
site mapcontactupdates
Contact
Last updated on: Friday, 29 September, 2017 1:06 PM
(c) Frederic Logghe - Living Afloat.com 2004-2017
We are not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site.