28th February 2009 – We mainly finished some little jobs, like the side of the entrance, some frames in the windows and a small electricity problem. The corridor received it’s final coat of paint and is now ready for decorating.
Month: February 2009
27th February 2009 – In the morning I removed the bow rudder from the Julie. It took some time before I completely understood the system. It was actually not more then just undoing some bolts and using a hammer to remove the rust. The last piece, the rudder itself had to be cut.
In the early afternoon the bow rudder was gone, so I had time to remove rust from the side. A very intensive job, but a good one for the ship!
26th February 2009 – I prepared all my tools for a big job tomorrow, removing the bow rudder on the Julie. While asking around, many people were positive on putting one back, but only when you use a professional crew. Since I’m never going to sail without a skipper, it might be useful. If not, it’s another original piece I’m putting back on my ship.
25th February 2009 – The last couple of days have been mainly spent on planning the further conversion of my ship. Since several things need to be done and each of them needs the other to be finished, I had to think very carefully. Furthermore, I’m keeping the option open of putting back a bow rudder in the ship.
23th February 2009 – Another interview aboard the Watergeus about the new mooring paperwork that is coming closer to us.
22nd February 2009 – We had our official meeting for our houseboat society in Ghent and most people agreed on the fact there is still work to do before we have our new mooring papers.
In the afternoon I walked around in Ghent to admire some of the other houseboats.
21st February 2009 – In the morning we went shopping; looking for a pump, toilet, boiler and the pipes. We did several shops and most of them sell the stuff at the same price. I was expecting a bigger difference, but really there wasn’t.
In the afternoon the corridor was painted the on the front deck a few little holes were welded. While removing a light in the fore peak, I discovered several holes that were closed with some kind of paint. I cleaned it nicely and welded it as it should have been done years ago.
More then three years ago, a young couple bought an old rusty tug, the Wendy Ann II. They nicely restored the ship, repairing the hull, cleaning the ship and building a brand new traditional looking wheelhouse. She was successfully launched today and is floating again!
I have worked on many projects, but what they have realized in three years is just amazing. My deep respect to Becky and Seb!
16th February 2009 – My neighbour wanted the wood from the fore peak for his fire. I believe this was the only (good) solution for the wood. No matter how nice the floor once was, it is rotten and to dangerous to continue to be used. By the end of the evening I had an empty fore peak, ready for conservation and conversion.
15th February 2009 – After the party, I decided to stay with friends. Their barge Helena still has it’s original back accommodation, with mirrors, several types of tropical wood, etc… It had been nicely vanished. When staying there, you suddenly were back in the 30’s.
14th February 2009 – I started having enough of the slow progress on the tank. I cut out a few pieces and used a hammer to bash her out the forepeak. After 4 more hours of work the tank was no more… cut up into several smaller pieces that would fit in a car. I started removing the frames and supports, but had to stop, since a party was starting in Ghent a few hours later.
11th February 2009 – The Government, responsible for our waterways has been working on new mooring rules and paperwork for the last couple of years. There are many good things, things that will become better, but there are as many items listed that will cause a lot of trouble to us. Therefore the television and another journalist came to take an interview aboard my ship. Instead of working, I had to clean the back accommodation and make it a little more presentable…
10th February 2009 – I continued cleaning out the area, and started removing an old water tank that has been leaking for the last five to ten years… A big hole in the side has been made for smoke and pressure to leave the tank. While bashing on the metal, the pipe that connects the outlet on deck and the tank pushed the outlet op, leaving a hole in the deck. It was really getting time that the tank leaves the ship. I believe to be busy another few evenings before she has gone.
9th February 2009 – In the fore peak there will be a small guest room. Now it’s a a storage space, or rather a big pile of useful stuff. I started cleaning it out. It took me around three hours before I could move a feet or two.
7th February 2009 – While in the morning we worked on the bathroom, a friend helped finishing the boxes around the windows. My mother painted the corridor.
Since I learned my lesson last month when all the water pipes were frozen, I do now take some precautions by building two insulated walls and having the pipes in between them. This should prevent them from freezing that quickly. When there will be heating they should remain good.