Month: February 2011

Escapade – Found a previous owner

28th February 2011 – I traced a previous owner of the Escapade. I finally know where she was built and when! He even has some older pictures of her. I can’t wait to see them.

The Escapade was built in 1937 at the shipyard Van Lent en Zonen in Kaag.

Escapade – Fire damage

22nd February 2011 – Another evening spent aboard the Escapade, cleaning bilges and removing rust. The ceiling of the bedroom was removed. The more wood I have removed, the more I discover. Melted insulation, burned wood and a black metal with some paint left. Cause of the fire must have been the electricity.

Escapade – Bilge cleaning

21st February 2011 – As usual on a boat, one of the first job I always do is cleaning the bilges. It was no different with the Escapade…

Different then with other barges, the Escapade was filled with led as ballast.

Escapade – Rain and water

19th February 2011 – Again some water was visible in the bilges, while I cleaned it earlier that morning. It had been raining so much that I could fill a 12 liters bucket. The sooner I find all the holes in the side and roof the quicker I might get her totally dry.

Escapade – Stripping to bare metal

15th February 2011 – The interior of the Escapade is now gone. In 30 minutes, a friend and me removed the whole interior. Why? Well I discovered around 15cm of water in the bilges last night. I first tired hovering it out, but was to much. Once the interior was gone, I could estimate the amount of work needed to get everything clean.

Once the bottom was visible, I noticed the condition was better then expected.

Escapade – More and more trouble

14th February 2011 – Most people will think that it becomes easier after a few boats to always do the same jobs. Well in some cases it is true.

Unfortunately, the Escapade is not easier at all. I’m even afraid it might become a bigger job then the Watergeus. If she had the same size of the Watergeus, the amount of work would be to much. Every day I’m discovering new problems. It seems like it doesn’t stop!

Escapade – Philosophy of covers on a boat

12th February 2011 – In the late evening, I put a new cover over the Escapade to prevent rain from getting in. Doubtfully if it will work, but anything is better then it is now! Covers often mean the end of a ship. You hide the disaster from the public. Once the cover starts to disintegrate, you put another one on top of it. Doesn’t look right, but it gives a false feeling of ignoring the problem.

Escapade – Measuring and rust

6th February 2011 – I just discovered there is some more water under the engine. I makes me think I might have another leak somewhere… Doesn’t feel good. I can handle leaks from above, but not from underneath.

I used some black rubber to seal the small leakage in the joint. I hope it will stay dry.

Recently I had removed some metal from the Escapade. Since I only had half a day to work I cleaned the remaining parts at the back of the yacht. I did some measuring as well and removed some more rust.

 

Escapade – Water in the back compartment

5th February 2011 – There is some water at the back of the ship. It is no rain water and the shaft isn’t leaking. The joint between the bottom and the back is leaking. Small rivets and a lot of rust. I wonder if my cutting and hammering last week didn’t make it worse. I did cut out some old structured metal, and probably the best part of the ship…