23rd September 2012
23rd September 2012
21st September 2012 – We started with the windows in the wheelhouse. The original plate was 3mm and contains no ribs. We are now using 4mm and we must put some ribs. If not there is a chance the Windows might break because of the tension.
19th September 2012 – It took me some time to make a plan for the bedroom. Another room that worried me a lot is the bathroom. I stopped working there a long time ago. Today I made my mind up and started working there. The first bit was finishing the floor, then doing some plumbing. It’s the first time I do it all by myself. I won’t be surprised if some of the fittings are leaking…
A few pictures of how I left the bathroom a couple of months ago…
16th September 2012 – Next Wednesday my new windows, or at least the first ones will be placed in the wheelhouse. I closed all the holes of the wheelhouse that gave entrance to the engine room.
In the afternoon, I cleaned out the wheelhouse. In a few months time, it became a major storage space. I also painted the floor to protect the wood during the works.
15th September 2012 – On the Internet I found a spare gearbox for a Bedford Engine. I had a look but it was a different size and probably a different model. In the afternoon I did some smaller wood work.
13th September 2012 – I sanded down some of the panels for the wheelhouse steering. I’m building the column for the meters of the engine and gearbox. By the end of the evening, you notice progress is getting slower.
11th September 2012 – The gas handle has to be mounted on the original place I cut a sheet of multiplex and mounted the steering. It took me some time to get it right, but I’m happy with the result!
10th September 2012 – Today was time for the front paneling of the steer wheel. It took me much more time then expected. By the end of the evening, I was not even halfway…
9th September 2012 – A second day of hard work where you quickly see some progress. I cut the biggest sheets for the steering box. A result was visible in no time.
8th September 2012 – If everything goes as planned, my new windows should arrive next week. Around the old windows is still a lot of wood. That wood was fixed by screws and nails. The nails were welded and the screws were drilled from the outside through the metal and then into the wood. had to break every single of them with a hammer and a chisel. It made a lot of noise and it strengthened my muscles of my arm!
After removing some more wood, I found a name and a date. This probably means the interior was redone in 1981.
Next to the windows at the front part of the wheelhouse I welded some ribs. I don’t like drilling through the metal for the wood. It is another chance of creating rust and leaks.
Once the welding was done, I started working on the dashboard.
7th September 2012
4th September 2012 – After three days I barely did something on the Hornblower. I’m struggling badly with my back. My parents and friends came to help me on some occasions. I had plenty of time for planning.
Once more I realized that clamps can help you a lot when doing a job.
Today was probably the day of tjalken. I noticed three tjalken passing by.
4th September 2012 – A major problem when I bought the ship were the sliding doors. Last week I started working on removing the old rotten profiles in which the door was sliding. Today I bought the metal and started replacing them. This looks an easy job that could be done in a few hours. By the time I finished, it took me a whole day for one door. Maybe my back is part of the problem…
3rd September 2012
2nd September 2012 – Since my back is still hurting, I can only do some smaller jobs. Today I started lining out the wheelhouse floor. The wheelhouse will contain the kitchen, a bench and table for sitting and the steering column.