Month: June 2014

Aquarel – Rebuilding the bedroom

28th June 2014 – Construction work today! Nobody seems to be sure whether it will rain or stay dry. I will not take the chance of painting the wheelhouse. Last year I had to remove the old sleeping accommodation. It was rotten, and there was a big risk of fire when we were welding near that bulkhead.

Last month, I put the portholes back and now I can redo the interior. There used to be two boxes for sleeping. One has become the entrance to the hold. The second one will be for sleeping again.

The first job was to protect the metal by painting it. It took me much longer then expected. It looks small, but the amount of paint I used was not in proportion to the area…

In the afternoon I made the wall between the entrance and the bed. I’m reusing the old furniture parts from the spits barge I salvaged earlier this month. Maybe I would have been quicker remaking it….

Aquarel – Sanding

25th June 2014 – I continued sanding down the boat. Once everything was cleaned, I put a coat of paint on. Since I only had yellow paint left, she now looks like a duck. I will paint her with the right colour as soon as the weather permits me doing so.

Aquarel – Skylight restored

22nd June 2014 – The skylight for the old accommodation had been repaired. I mounted it on the deck, used some silicon to keep it in position. I must admit, those little elements give the boat a nice touch.

In the afternoon, I started preparations for the insulation and the walls I will make in the hold. I’m looking forward to have some areas ready and to get some structure in the hold.

Aquarel – Leaks

4th June 2014 – Leaks! I knew there would be a leak somewhere in my windows. But all of them. Every window had one or two bolts that were leaking… I tightened the leaking bolts and those next to it. The rest of the evening was spent in cleaning the bilges.