Month: October 2015

Aquarel – Repairing the kitchen floor

31st October 2015 – The floor in the kitchen area is badly damaged; it was the first part that was built. I had to cut it open at some point when there was water in the bilges. When I built the kitchen and later removed it, the sheets of wood were damaged again. I’ve now cut the good parts nicely and built some inspection hatches with the right brackets, etc… It looks better, walks better and the area is totally clean now. It doesn’t look wrong anymore.

Aquarel – Painting

25th October 2015 – Another day spent on painting. This time I did the kitchen area. By the end of the afternoon I was halfway and totally confused and high by the smell of the paint. I had to stop since I became to dizzy. The room is much brighter now and looks bigger. Every moment I have some time now, I will spent it on painting.

Aquarel – Leaking windows

18th October 2015 – My parents came to help me. I have my deadline to finish the hold by the end of December, so it only needs painting. Instead of continuing, I now started with the old accommodation at the back of the ship. Today my parents removed the old vanish while I did the second cupboard.

It takes me an average of two days to make something nice out of every cupboard. The wood behind the paneling is rotten or just gone. Last week, I put a bucket under one of the old windows because I felt some humidity. Today the bucket was full of water. So that window is definitely leaking . It took us some time to discover the leak and yes we found it.

I removed all the silicon and paint. The windows is now covered with a bug plastic sail and some tape. It must dry out before I start repairing it. It might also explain why I had water in the bilges underneath the old accommodation…

Aquarel – Unloading wood

14th October 2015 – I still had one load of wood left on the Watergeus, around 20 sheets of multiplex and some t&g. I cut the sheets the right size and transported them to the Aquarel. This are the moments you love your van….

Aquarel – A working toilet

13th October 2015 – I love to have a working toilet aboard the Aquarel. It gives some basic comfort. I have now the original bedroom that is clean and repaired, or should I just call it rebuild.

This evening I did some of the plumbing. I never like these kind of jobs, so to finish the evening, I did the remaining painting in the cupboard in the old accommodation.

Aquarel – Finishing the bathroom

11th October 2015 – It has been a long time ago, I worked three days in a row on the ship. The next area to finish is the bathroom. I only had a few hours, but I’m getting there. It is a bit more work then estimated, but nothing I can’t handle at the moment. All the water pipes are now behind the walls, ready to be connected. They are out of the way, which gives me more space to walk around. At the moment, I want to have as much free space as possible since next Wednesday I’m going to load my ship with some fresh wood that is still stored on deck at the Watergeus.

Aquarel – painting bricks!

10th October 2015 – I spent a few more hours aboard the Aquarel, painting the brick wall and the wardrobe. I had to stop since I ran out of paint. The brick wall is a shame on the ship. Bricks don’t belong on a ship, but I can’t remove them. At some point, I planned shooting T&G over it, but the heat of diesel heather could cause a fire. Therefore I decided to paint them. While I was painting, I removed the heather and will put an electric one. Less chance of a fire, nice heat, but a bit expensive to run. I had some decoration left from the spits barge I emptied last year. makes it nearly look original.

Aquarel – Breaking down the kitchen

9th October 2015 – It is a hard period for me. Motivation is one of the things I’m missing at the moment, just like some joy from the work I’m doing at the moment. If I don’t continue working, the project will take to long. I made a deadline, the hold should be ready by May 2016. Sounds acceptable, but when you walk around, there are so many small issues that needs sorting out. I don’t know anymore…

I ripped out the kitchen unit I built last year. I started doubting during the construction of it and a close friend recommended me removing it. It looked wrong, she said. Removing something I have built is a major job. Nails, screws, glue and silicon. It was that strong it survived hits from a sledge hammer. By the time I was finished, it took me another hour to repair the wall behind and make it look like there had never been a kitchen before.

While breaking down the kitchen, my mother painted the hall to get into the hold from the old accommodation. The old accommodation is a separate project, but we decided to clean out one wardrobe. Most of the wood was rotten, so I took it all out. What was left is now protected against woodworm and has been fixated as well. It would be nice to reuse the whole back accommodation one day.

My bedroom got a second coat of paint and some other small jobs were done today.