6th July 2015 – Finished welding the stairs to the hold. Cleaned it, removed the dust and started painting. Since it was becoming dark I had to stop painting. Maybe another day tomorrow?
Author: frederic - page 60
3rd July 2015 – The center of the mast was to thin. It was solid, but I found it to risky to use it. If the mast falls, it is more then 1000kgs of steel that will come down. It took us a few hours to move the mast, remove the center and put a new one in. I used an old shaft as cent er. massive, heavy and wider then the previous one. I also changed the access to it. Now I can remove and replace the center much easier in case something would go wrong.
29th June 2015 – So finally working a whole day on the Aquarel. I did manage to build most of the bar. The main issue was the heat. It was so hot aboard I couldn’t work for more then one hour before holding a break. I lost most of the time putting the hatch in front of the bar. I’m reusing a part of an old wooden hatch in front of the bar. I’m not sure whether I will keep it that way. It is dark and hard to recognize a hatch. I’ll have night sleep before making my final decision.
28th June 2015 – I opened the floor where the bar will be built. part of that floor is becoming fixed so I cleaned the bilges and oiled them. they are looking much better when they are greasy. I was surprised to see how much dust has been collected since I last cleaned them, nearly a year ago…
20th June 2015 – After a week of not being fit to work, I decided to try some work. The corridor between my workspace and the front of the ship is now nearly finished and covered with a coat of primer.
Outside on deck, the last black remains of the fire were repainted. I still need my new windows, but the deck and hull are looking better again.
13th June 2015 – Finally, not a windy day. Time to put the new cover over my terras. At least, I should be dry if it rains. The construction now gives me some extra dry storage as well 😉
6th June 2015 – The walls of the corridor between the study room and the front of the ship are nearly finished today. The insulation on the ceiling of the front was done and some of the plating.
31st May 2015 – I have been in London for two days. Saw some friends, had a BBQ on a boat with musicians, artists and actors. It was great!
What have I been doing the last month. I worked a lot, mostly on the Aquarel and the Watergeus. I didn’t had any time so far to make updates to my blog. I will try to do this the next couple of days!
17th May 2015 – Still sorting out my stuff. I’m surprised to see how many things I have, but once they are sorted out, it seems acceptable. My barge can only handle 165 tons of cargo. If I continue like I have been doing the last two years, I’ll get close to her maximum capacity. I did manage to clean the front deck. Only one engine and two big sheets of metal are left. The other items are now stored aboard the ship.
13th May 2015 – I started building shelves in my workspace area. I’m storing everything in boxes and old pieces of furniture. It works me that way, but I’m loosing to much space. Second reason why I want to build them is so I can finish one area in my work space. One wall had been insulated, I still had to finish the other one. It takes more time then expected.
While taking a break, I decided to add the second wheel to my anchor winch. It looks much better now.
10th May 2015 – I’m just back from a small holiday with my parents. I went to Maastricht. During one of the boat trips, I discovered a small canal with houseboats. Lovely to see.
7th May 2015 – After a hard month, I could finally think again on the conversion of the Aquarel. I was no longer interested in any boat. Now I’ve just draw some plans for the work area. I need a sink, more shelving and a descent floor. Just the idea I’m planning again gives me satisfaction!
6th May 2015 – A friend of mine is selling his boat and my stuff needs to go. Last week, I managed to put some in the Aquarel, but now I can’t enter the boat. I have some shelving in the work area. It was time to clean them and resort my stuff. I was surprised to see how many drill bits I found back. I will have to make my way through all the items I have.
24th April 2015 – The stairs to the hold are not finished. A lot of welding is needed and I don’t want to continue with the woodwork till they are finished. Most of the metal was put in place but another day of welding is needed.
I’ve also started with the bar in the hold. In my exhibition space, I would like to have a small bar or a kitchen.
21st April 2015 – It is taking me to long to finish the bathroom. There are to many things where my only answer is “I don’t know yet”. I tried finishing the wall between the bath and the rest of the bathroom till I ran out of wood. While mounting the fittings for the bath and shower tap, I know the bathroom is getting there.
A major job will be running all the pipes for cold and warm water.