Category: MS Hornblower - page 3

Hornblower – Line oil in the bilges

19th January 2013 – It is important to have access to the bilges in case there is ever a problem or you suspect something is wrong. I’ve opened the floor, cleaned the bilges and put line oil on it. It is not the perfect period for doing so, but it will dry out and become hard one day…

Hornblower – Painting the living room

7th January 2013 – In the early morning I put a coat of primer in the bathroom.

Anna came to help painting the living room. It was done quicker then I thought. The rest of the day was spent away from the boat.

In the evening I fixed two little leaks, one in the solar vent of the living room and one in the ceiling of the wheelhouse.

Hornblower – Get some more paint

28th December 2012 – Time to go to the shop and get some paint. The bedroom is totally finished and ready for painting. I spent the last couple of days partying and working in the bedroom. Putting down the floor, finishing the lists around the windows and mounting the stairs.

Hornblower – Bedroom finished

28th December 2012 – I’m proud to say the bedroom is finished. All the woodwork has been done. In the afternoon I bought the paint and I’m hoping to paint it somewhere next week.

It takes nearly one hour to make the wooden lists fit around the windows. I have five windows (two portholes, two windows and a skylight). The floor is a wooden parquet. I spent most of the week finishing the bedroom. When a job is finished, and for the last bits you buy the right equipment, then you say: ‘I should have bought this on day one’. Well a compressor with a nail gun is no luxury, believe me!

Hornblower – Living room

15th December 2012 – I’ve been using the living room more or less as a storage space. Most of the woodwork was finished. A few corners had to be done. There was one power cable I had to hide and around the windows was also some more work.

By the end of the afternoon, we managed to sort out the living room and to make it empty.

Hornblower – Bedroom in primer

10th November 2012 – I’ve been working with no structure or plan for a while. The project is getting near to it’s end. Everything is falling together now and I could finally start thinking about finishing the bedroom. The wood got a first coat of primer.

Most of the multiplex is finished in the wheelhouse. I still have one leaking window. I didn’t put any wood around that window. Where the multiplex is finished, I’m now putting t&g wood.  

Hornblower – Primer to protect the metal

5th November 2012 – While the old windows were in the wheelhouse, most of the metal work got badly damaged by leaks. I removed the rust, and put a lot of rubber to protect it. I believe in paint when it is a dry area. I never know if the new windows will leak one day. When there is an interior it takes a long time before you realize it. Therefore I’m using rubber. It becomes hard after a few days. The only way to remove the rubber is a grinding tool or a torch.

Hornblower – Rain and leaks

3rd November 2012 – It has been raining continuously for nearly a weak. I was home, in bed but with worries about my three leaking windows.

When I had a look in the boat, I discovered many more leaks. Two portholes were leaking, they were always dry before. The air vent in the living room, the three windows in the wheelhouse, the search light, the brackets of the hatch on the front of the ship, etc…

There was some sunshine in the afternoon. I used this period to close the leaks and to weld the brackets of the hatch properly. It was everything except a nice experience today.

Hornblower- Frame in the wheelhouse

25th October 2012 – Building a frame is one of the jobs I like doing most. I spent the evening building the frame for the side of of the wheelhouse. When building the frame, you can easily see how the room will look like. The frame must be solid and there should be enough supports. otherwise the panels won’t hold or will start bending.