Category: MS Op Hoop van Zegen
6th July 2018 – We went to see the ‘Op Hoop van Zegen’ in Zelzate. She will be launched in the water next week, so this was one of the last days to take some pictures after the repairs had been done.
It is a good thing the new owner repaired the bow. Sadly enough, the yard didn’t do it properly. The shape and curve were not followed and instead of welding, a lot of silicon was used.
20th October 2016 – I sold the ship.
I gave the lemmeraak ‘Op Hoop van Zegen’ a new life. If I didn’t rebuilt her, she was likely to be scrapped. I hope the new owner has the talent and know-how to finish this project. I wish him luck with the ship.
18th October 2016 – My last tools are now from the ship. She raised approximately 7 cm’s at the front and 4 cm’s at the back.
I will certainly miss this ship. I had many plans, but I’m pretty sure I will find another project where I can save a ship and give it another bright future!
16th October 2016 – The engine room is empty now, or at least most of it! I had a nice collection of hard wood stored in the engine room since I had no other place to store it. Everything is now on the Watergeus. I hope not for to long. I wonder how many times I have already moved that wood 😉
14th October 2016 – It is now pretty sure the ‘Op Hoop van Zegen’ will be sold, so I started emptying the accommodation and engine room.
If the sale would not go through, this would still be a good thing to do. She was getting filled up and it took me longer to convert her. I had to move around my stuff before I was able to get anywhere. After a whole day, I took half of my stuff out. I will need another day.
1st October 2016 – A long time since I did something structural to the ‘Op Hoop van Zegen’. I built the wheelhouse floor. Makes it easier for walking around and finishing the sides. I have some old oak I will use to finish the floor, but this is for later. I still need to paint the rest of the wheelhouse before I put the topcoat on the floor.
11th September 2016 – The wheelhouse is slowly becoming realistic. I added some more cables, did some more T&g and I added a search light on the roof of the cabin. My parents came with navigation lights, but I didn’t have the time to weld a support for those.
10th September 2016 It is the first time I’ve constructed a wheelhouse from scratch. I had sold the Hornblower before I even got to that stage. I was surprised to see how many cables I had to pull through from the sides, engine room and back accommodation. It took me another few hours to label and mount the cables properly.
9th September 2016 – I added some more t&g to the sides of the wheelhouse. It feels cleaner already and I’m not even half way!
8th September 2016 – Just started with t&g in the wheelhouse. I had some old nice wood, but it was to hard to use it. Nothing is straight and I would lose to much of the wood when cutting it the right size. I’ll use it on another project one day…
4th September 2016 – Just back from London, I wanted to do something. I’m not in the mood for working. I want to drive my ship, not convert it. I made the priority to finish the wheelhouse first. A flag mast was added at the back and secured.