11th June 2020 – I was in doubt if I would keep the windows, but make new ones, or just close the gaps and maybe at the most put some portholes in. After cutting out the old window, I had a look and the window accentuated the shape of the roof to much. I closed one windows, but it will take me another day to finish the welding properly.
Category: MS Stern - page 13
7th June 2020 – It is the first boat I’m converting where I managed to drill the holes in the ribs of ceiling in less then one hour….
6th June 2020 – Waking up a little late, I decided to finish the deck plate and while I was welding, a few more items were done like supports for the gangway, a basic frame for the cover of the skylight.
I secured the windows and cover a little more since wind is coming hard.
5th June 2020 – There was bad weather last night , heavy rain in the morning. I was surprised to see I only had two drips.
4th June 2020 – It was becoming to late yesterday to put a layer of Silicon around the windows. I got up early in the morning before the rain would start and sealed the sides of the windows. Let’s hope it is dry when it starts raining.
3rd June 2020 – With better power to weld, I continued welding the windows inside and outside. In the afternoon I went to Tordino to get another lifeboat and in the evening, after a visit from a good friend, I continued. Sadly enough it was already late and they are predicting bad weather tomorrow. So I had to continue cutting plywood to cover the windows. Happy with the result, but it is the second day of hard working and I feel it!
2nd June 2020 – I started early in the morning welding the windows frames. All four of them were mounted and partly welded by the late afternoon. I am welding on solar panels and batteries. This has a negative influence on the start of the weld process. Anti stitch doesn’t work that good. Secondly I ran out of welding rots.
At the lock, the bridge was broken, so I moored alongside Rio Claro, in the lock my ropes were to short but again, I made it safely. Next bridge: also broken, since I had no ropes left, I floated for one hour and made it safely after four hours to the mooring alongside the Watergeus.
31st May 2020 – I picked up around 300kgs of metal for ballast. I got it for free from someone who had just bought three containers of old stuff from a warehouse. On the way home I picked up free curver boxes to store the metal in. It took me some time to unload it and store it on the Watergeus.
28th May 2020 – I still don’t know what to do with the wheelhouse of the Stern. A wooden wheelhouse looks older and has more charm. A metal on is watertight and better on the long run…
Since it was sanded down earlier this month, I put a coat of oil on it to feed the wood.
27th May 2020 – I mounted the light boxes and the foot for the name sign I received yesterday. The welding of the pipe is finished, so is the support for the mast. On the inside, some more welding was done between the ribs and the ceiling.
Once everything was finished, I gave it a coat of primer. Looking better now!
26th May 2020 – A pipe was welded around the roof of the cabin. This is a common practice to finish a roof so water doesn’t run off everywhere and it is less sharp when walking around. I started at luchtime and was nearly finished in the evening. It had been a long time since I welded for so many hours.
I also mounted the mastfoot and mast. It needs adjusting, but at least, I’m happy with a visual adjustment.
25th May 2020 – I got up early in the morning for removing the old rotten roof. It was rotten, but still very well attached to the ship. A friend came to help me and after two hours the roof was gone. The upper structure is fairly rotten at some places, but nothing that can’t be fixed.
When removing the layers of wood, we discovered how nicely the Stern used to be. A wooden roof in hardwood with rubber seals. It must have been a great yacht.
We removed some old ribs and badly rusty parts before lowering the new sheets on the frame. I knew it just ordered enough metal, but we had to alter the position of the plates to make it. The frame for the skylight, I made earlier last month, fitted well. Happy with the result, but still a lot needs to be done!
18th May 2020 – I drove the metal sheets to Beernem. Not an easy job since they were to big to fit properly in the van. They are now on my hatches of Tordino, ready to be welded Thursday. Once the roof is done, I’m safe for the winter!
16th May 2020 – I painted the portside of the hull with a small dinghy. It wasnt’ a success when I started. When launching the boat, it made water, and it never stopped. So I had to pump it very five minutes. I only managed to do halve of the ship since to many boats were passing by and I was making to much water. When taking some pictures, I dropped my safety line and had to paddle with my hands to make it back to my boat. I wonder if there was more paint on my ship or my body….
The hull itself is looking shiny and it does make a difference.
15th May 2020 – I didn’t do much. Early today the metal was delivered for the roof. In the morning I went to Antwerp to pick up some paint. In the late afternoon, I cleaned the yacht removing most of the rubbish and the remaining wood. The accommodation is now nearly empty. I did some measuring to realise it isn’t that big at all. It is not possible to build a proper bed for two people.