Category: MS Stern - page 2

Stern – Working on the kitchen and outside painting

7th November 2020 – I started early in the morning, mounting the last kitchen cupboard door, finishing the ceiling and the wood around two windows. There were many people walking outside, it was dry and nice weather, so I switched to the outside, painting my railing. It took me more time then expected.

In the evening, I experimented with the dark red paint. It was no success at all! 

Stern – Kitchen

5th November 2020 – Early in the morning, I cut the second sheet of plywood for the kitchen cupboard. A small job, but now it already looks more finished. You never know who is watching through the portholes 😉

Stern – Kitchen part II

4th November 2020 – The best way not to kill your manager is to own a project-boat, somewhere you can spend a lot of time. The Stern is such an example. I was glad to spent some energy on building the second cupboard with the sink for doing the dishes. 

Stern – Mounting the second and final porthole

21st October 2020 – Planning is everything. Yesterday I planned to finish the ceiling, today I wanted to put t&g against the walls. What did I do, something totally different, mounting the last porthole. At least, I have no more metal work at the moment.

In the late evening, I had to cut a rope since it was pulling the ship sideways to land and I couldn’t predict what would happen. If the water is lowered, no problem. But if it continues to raise…

Stern – Sealing the windows

20th October 2020 – The sky wasn’t looking good and they are predicting a lot of rain tomorrow. To make sure a minimum of water is coming in, I sealed the windows from the outside. Let’s hope this is enough. 

I also went buying a pack of wood for finishing the frame around the porthole. It was a job that took me some time. I had many more plans for the evening, but only got that far…

Stern – Mounting a porthole

19th October 2020 – Just mounted a porthole, did some cleaning and started sorting out my tools. It is a very small boat, next Saturday my other windows will be delivered and I have no access to the frames at the moment.  I really hope everything will be sealed before the winter starts. 

One thing is for sure, working with windows in the wheelhouse is much nicer. You don’t live in a black box, you see what is happening outside. It is motivating me more to work in the evening again on this project.

Stern – Small jobs

18th October 2020 – I started early in the morning cleaning the wheelhouse. Cutting with a saw in metal makes more dus then expected. It became sticky because of the cutting oil as well. 

In the afternoon, I fixed an issue with one one window. Two more to go.  The supports for the VHF antennas were mounted, so was the horn. It is starting to look like a real ship!