8th September 2009 – While building the new central heating I had the tools to remove the old pipes. All of the sudden, I had plenty of more space in the engine room. By the end of the evening the hold was finished and the heating in the storage area. I can now start to finish the remaining woodwork in the hold.
Category: MS Watergeus - page 19
7th September 2009 – Another major project is the central heating. The easiest part is the hold itself, everything is new and straight without metal bulkheads. The hardest part is the old back accommodation and the engine room.
6th September 2009 – In the morning we finished the floor in the kitchen and in the afternoon the entrance of the ship. Besides the box on starboard side where the heating is coming, all the big woodwork is done. Another step closer to living in the hold.
I used softwood (Pine from Norway) as floor for the living room. Many people recommended me not to do so. There are several reasons why I did it anyway. It is cheap, four centimeters thick and it will be oiled. I wanted a floor that was not tongue and groove so I could easily remove it to get to the hull on the yard. Screw are holding the planks to the multiplex underneath it. By the time the four centimeters of wood will be gone, so am I. I don’t mind it gets damaged on some points, since the floor in the office space, corridors and sleeping room is Azobe. This floor came from a cargo hold and is also damaged.
5th September 2009 – We finished the woodwork kitchen and living room. Small gaps were closed and a few details touched up. Everything is now ready for painting.
The heater was probably the biggest piece that had to enter through the door, so we could now finish the entrance hall as well, without having to risk to break everything out.
4th September 2009 – Today they delivered the floor for the kitchen and living room. Since every piece was over five meters in length it was a big job to get it aboard.
In the afternoon they called to tell me the heating system, pallets and heating elements would be delivered today instead of tomorrow. A bit surprised I had to make some more room in the living room. When the truck arrived I was even more surprised by the volume of pellets that had to enter the hold.
3rd September 2009 – The preparations of Monday were still good, but I added a few extra ropes to the anchor in case one would break. Since the anchor is not 150kg but 300kg I didn’t want to make any unnecessary risks.
When the crane came I was ready and in a short period the anchor was mounted. A good preparation was the key to this quick and successfully operation where many people doubt on it…
After the anchor was in position, we raised the little speed boat. This took us more time but went fluently as well. Thanks to the crane man for his experienced help!
1st September 2009 – Since a lot of new materials must be loaded in the hold, it was time to clean it out thoroughly.
31st August 2009 – My second anchor is on the front deck. Thursday, a friend is coming with a crane. I moved the chain through it’s gate and dropped it along the hull. I hope to put my anchor in position if the crane is long enough. I cut the anchor loose from the ship since it was welded a few years ago.
I built a small box for the heating element near the water tanks. Only a small wall was needed, but by the time I was finished it was also a work bench and storage space.
In the late evening, I cleaned another part of the deck. The idea of cleaning a square meter a day is not realizable.
30th August 2009 – Another inspection hole was built, two more to go and I can build my finishing floor. Since the remaining wood is stored where the holes need to be built, I can’t do it right now.
29th August 2009 – The first thing I had to do was getting some stuff to work, such as a metal brush to clean the deck, rust free steel bolts for my hatches (the current ones are rusting away), paint brushes for the tar, ordering a floor for the living room and kitchen, paint for the floor and deck, etc…
28th August 2009 – A nice welcome was the bad weather in the evening. It was so heavy every thunder I felt my ship vibrating. The cover of my metal boat on the back accommodation didn’t hold it. First all water ran into the back accommodation through a broken window and a little later my cover was blown away completely.
16th August 2009 – In the morning I continued working in the bathroom. In the afternoon I spent my time on three boats, my neighbour, the Watergeus and sailing around in the little speedboat.
15th August 2009 – The bathroom was the area that had always been postponed for a later date. Since I still have intentions for living in the hold before the end of the year, I decided to finish this area. An air vent was mounted, and the remaining walls closed.
14th august 2009 – I made the planning for September. I planned with the best intentions, but I’m already sure to have another result. Items on the list wont have been done and others will.
12th August 2009 – I made up my mind and decided to paint my deck instead of oiling it. Still, I’ll try to remove as much paint as possible. Since some rust was making pitting, I had no other option then to start painting it. Around a square meter was cleaned and painted. If I do a few meters every few days, my deck might be finished before the end of the year.