11th April 2010 – Some more deck cleaning has been done.
Category: MS Watergeus - page 21
8th April 2010: In the late evening I decided to remove some more paint. The wind was blowing the other side then the last couple of days, so I started working on portside on the deck.
I made a quick calculation. 2 meters a day, 80 meters in total will cost me nearly two months of work to clean the whole deck. I know what to do in April and May.
6th April 2010 – The remaining old paint between the wheelhouse and the tabernakels was removed this evening.
5th April 2010 – My neighbour left for the yard in the early morning. I had a look and went back to sleep shortly after.
Another two meters of deck have been cleaned. Two meters of deck were one and I was surprised to see how bad this part was. A lot of pitting in the metal. It took me more then three hours to have it on bare metal. The result was good and a nice coat of metal primer is protecting it.
In the late afternoon I started again doing a piece near the wheelhouse. Fortunately the deck was in a much better condition.
1st April 2010 – Cleaning the deck is an extremely boring job with slow progress. At the other side, it is the right job to keep the ship from rusting away. Another meter has been cleaned.
27th March 2010 – Again time to work on the boat, this time I continued with the gangway. I managed to do a big part of two meter, so progress can be seen now. In the late afternoon I started gardening on my boat and put some flowers for the spring and summer.
My little davit for the front was delivered as well today. I’ll use it to hold an anchor like the old days.
14th March 2010 – Some more flags are now hanging in the mast. The spring is coming (or let’s hope so). I added some more flowers since it brings some colour to the boat and to land.
13th March 2010 – The first nice day to work outside. I have some time, so I just started cleaning the gang board of the ship near the back accommodation. Two small pieces were cleaned, all paint and rust removed. Once finished, a good coat of primer was put on the blank metal.
In the late afternoon, I went checking the little boat. Since it is taking more and more water, while it has not been raining, I decided to have a closer look at the hull. While standing in the boat, water came into my boots. I discovered the plug for the air tanks is missing. I have no suitable crane so I added a few more heavier ropes to my ship. If it sinks completely, the ropes will hold the boat.
I really hope the owner will come and collect it.
10th March 2010 – Some boats have been passing at high speed, causing the little boat nearly to sink.
6th March 2010 – In the early morning, when I was on deck, I noticed a small boat drifting by with nobody aboard. It was a little to far from my ship to grab it with a hook, so I went to land and threw an anchor to the boat to get it.
In the afternoon I put some green near the gangway.
10th February 2010 – I finally have them! After looking for over four years I now found a set of stoelen. These are supports, mounted on the den for putting your gangway, broom and other tools.
Thanks to the owners of the spits barge Julie!
17th January 2010 – With my wrist going the wrong way, and not being motivated work on the Watergeus has been halted. I started cleaning the front last week, cleaned the engine room and that’s it. I helped a few people on other barges but that’s were it has stopped for now.
I’m more or less concentrating on a book I’m writing. I still have many plans, but first, I want my wrist to be fine again!
Since it was the first nice day this year, it was the moment to take some pictures:
2nd January 2010 – At the end of December I connected my ship to land with a steel cable. I bought some more for the back as well. Since it was to cold to work, I’ll connect it another time…
25th December 2009 – First of all I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
As you could read, the last two months I haven’t done much work on the ship. I have many plans such as finishing the front, converting the storage area into a room, putting a new floor in the wheelhouse, sanding the inside and repair the wheelhouse, etc…
I’m making a planning for all these jobs. I would like to start halfway January with the wheelhouse.
12th December 2009 – Last weekend I decided to make some changes to my mast. The few remaining ropes were rotten and flags were all gone. I bought around 100 meter of steel cable, all different sizes and types. It took me around a day to finish the whole project, but the result looks good.
In the afternoon, one of the last remaining jobs was done in the living room. Double glass was mounted in the skylight to prevent condensation and losing the heat.