26th January 2009 – A small light can make a big difference in a room. We worked on the electricity, mainly the entrance and corridor. I have now electricity in most of the rooms in the hold.
25th January 2009 – I mainly worked in the corridor to the sleeping room. Tomorrow it will be painted, so I had to finish a few details.
24th January 2009 – Again a day for the Watergeus, where further finished the entrance to the ship. while doing so, I decided to make a small storage room underneath the stairs. By finishing those little areas you realize work is nearing its end. At the other hand, you realize a lot of specific work still needs doing.
23th January 2009 – When I got home, I hadn’t seen my ship that high on the water. Looking closer, I noticed water level had raised with more then 40cm’s.
The engine of the Julie was started today and ran nicely. Two weeks of work, and she is ready for a big trip to the yard. In some way it’s good she is running and I can concentrate again on my ship, but at the other hand, I started to learn something about engines.
21st January 2009 – So again I helped on the cooling system for the Julie. We cut the packing for the plates closing the cooling circuit. At the end of the evening some little adjustments were done on the steering as well. If everything goes as planned, we might be able to start the engine over the weekend.
18th January 2009 – Instead of working on my own ship, I’m having the habit again of helping others instead. Why? I’m learning more when working on their ship then working on mine. At this moment all I have to do now is repetitive, on the other ships, everything is relative new to me and therefore more interesting.
17th January 2009 – We mainly worked on the electricity, finishing the kitchen and living room. All sockets are working now.
In the afternoon, I cleaned the technical room where the water tanks are stored. Somewhere next week, they have to weld a bulkhead, so I had to cover my tanks and create as much space as I could.
12th – 13th – 14th – 15th January 2009 – Mainly watched some people working on the gearbox of the sleepspits Julie. The next days I helped a little on their cooling system. When helping on such a project, you realize how little you know about ship engines. I learned more in those four days then I learned at school…
10th January 2009 – This night was one of the coldest, having around minus 11° C, and my main heating system went out, so I had to continue on my small electric heater. By the morning, all pipes in the engine room were frozen. It was a happy day, little sleep and no water. I wanted to have an inspection in the engine room, but the lock was frozen. No products helped opening the lock so I had to use a crowbar to get access to my engine room.
Why did I choose to live on a ship again?
The good thing was that we made some progress in the hold today. I didn’t work that quick as usual, but the entrance has a roof and insulation. The electrician can now finish his work on the entrance next time he comes.
7th – 8th – 9th January 2009 – The cold weather must not have been that good, since I’m ill in bed. When I woke up this morning, ice was all around the ship, the canal being nicely covered with ice. Yesterday evening, it was getting close, but now it is closed!
The next two days were identical.
3th January 2009 – We did a lot of work today. Not only has the furniture been mounted in the sleeping room, we also insulated the corridor to the living room and started the engine.
In the morning I started insulating the corridor, one of the last places with no insulation. The other one is the bathroom. In the afternoon, with the help of my parents, the furniture was put in position.
In the evening I put some anti-freeze in the engine and ran it. Why? Well it was not freezing today (around 6°C), so I could easily ran the engine. Maybe I should have taught about this last month…
30th December 2006 – All the big portholes are now marked on the new den. In the next couple of weeks a friend of mine is going to put them in.
All wooden plates from the side of the ship were placed on the floor, created two days ago. Between every plate I put some smaller wooden pieces, so air can pass between them. Since all plates are now properly stored, I get a better impression on the space that needs converting. My neighbour’s wife was painting her interior and I was hoping I was already as far as they are now…
29th December 2006 – A sunny day today. Perfect for painting the new entrance to the cargo hold with the gray paint.
In the afternoon, we placed the stairs to the cargo hold. My crane was just strong enough to hold it while cutting and positioning.