Tordino – Wood and ceiling

19th January 2018 – Wood had to be delivered today. The company couldn’t tell me exactly when they would come, so I started working in the hold. It was a lovely dry day. Hatches were open and it felt like working outside on a sunny day. fresh air, not to cold!

The door in the corridor to the second part of the hold was mounted. It is the same style of door as the main entrance. Last year I bought three similar old cabin doors. They have nice brass fittings.

Wood was delivered in the afternoon. I cut the wooden beams on the right size and mounted them above the old accommodation. I took beams of 14cm heigh to make sure it could support itself. I now have a frame for the ceiling of the old cabin!

Tordino – t&g

14th January 2018 – Eighteen square meters done with t&g. I’ll have to do at least that amount again somewhere next week. It is a job without thinking. Just unpack it and shoot a few nails through each wooden plank against the wall. So repetitive….

The more I’m finishing the hold, the better the room starts looking. I can’t wait to hang the paintings, furniture and objects.

Watergeus – Connecting the switch panels

12th January 2018 – All the wires in the wheelhouse had to be connected to three switch panels. Maybe a mistake I made, I should have counted how many instruments I had because three panels aren’t really enough. It took us several hours to get it all connected. Testing will be for another moment.

Watergeus – Fuel drums

10th January 2018 – Just unloaded three fuel drums to put clean fuel in, while I can clean my tank for the journey in May. I removed some rubbish from the engine room, it starts to look clean.

Once the bulkhead is finished, I can do some updates on the paintwork.

Watergeus – Drilling holes

9th January 2018 – When I came back from Tordino, I drilled two more holes through the wheelhouse to put some cables into the engine room. It is a very busy week and I wouldn’t know any other moment where I could do it. On Friday, we start connecting the cables to the batteries.

Tordino – Doors

Earlier this year, I got three similar doors, probably from cabins aboard a bigger seagoing vessel. They were used in a houseboat and when it got scrapped, I put them in my garage. One door was already used to enter the hold in Tordino. Now I will use the two other doors as well.

Since I have a van again, I put them in the back and will drop them of tomorrow evening.

A bad start….

The year didn’t start well, broken car and a broken heater in the Watergeus. Today I got another van, a smaller one, but I don’t have intentions of doing another boating project in the next three or four years. Maintaining Tordino and Watergeus is already a lot of work! Keeping a museum up and running will also take energy!

My heather was fixed as well in the late afternoon.

I had a chat yesterday evening with a friend living on a boat, a bit further along the quay. He recommended me to stop doing project and to enjoy a bit more of life. Maybe he is right!

Having a drink on a friends ship last night

Watergeus – New Year’s Eve Party

1st January 2018 – Last night, there was a New Year’s Eve Party aboard the Watergeus. Several friends came. It was the first party in over a year on this ship. I had been so busy the last year, I nearly forgot to party.

When we walked out the ship, water was extremely high. I’ve know it high, but this was exceptional!

New Website!

After more then 14 years, it was time to change the layout and structure of this website.

Updates will only be visible on this page.

The old information is about to be moved to this new site in the near future! I’ve now added around 80 posts in half-a-day.  There are over 1500 posts on the old website. It will keep me busy the next couple of evenings…

Tordino – Insulation and building walls

30th December 2017 – Another day of working in the hold of Tordino. While my father was insulating the sides of the ship, I was working on the other end building walls around the old accommodation. Many of the original wooden panels are not that strong any more. The frame around them should make it strong again.

I had to stop working since I ran out of plywood and wooden beams. It is amazing how much stuff you need to convert a hold. Every time I am surprised.