Aquarel – Rust

5th May 2016 – I don’t know where to start. So much rust, so much flaky paint. I’m not feeling to good and the temperatures are high. I’ve don about a third of a zwierboom and went back home.

Aquarel – Recovery mode

1st May 2016 – Still recovering from yesterdays party aboard the ship, the people who stayed wanted to organize a BBQ. So the party in the event yesterday became a small two-day festival. Nice weather, for the first time in weeks. It was a great weekend and I never enjoyed my ship more then I did then!

Aquarel – Even if I just did it for that one party!

30th April 2016 – Today is a special day. The hold is looking finished. I still have to do the plumbing, heating, ventilation and some decoration. The ship is hundred years old and this means there is something to celebrate.

I organized a private party for some friends in the evening. I’m happy with the result. Some friends came earlier to load the beer on the ship and to build a tent in case it would be raining.

During the evening I walked several times outside. With only some light coming through, she looked good. Colored lights in the hold , LED lights outside and people having fun. It felt right!I am proud of the result.

Aquarel – Roof at the back

13th April 2016 – I continued on the small roof at the back of the wheelhouse. While working, I noticed a few of the nails that are holding the zinc roof became loose. I put an air horn on the side of the wheelhouse. Connecting it to a small compressor is another job for later.

Aquarel – Stopping a leak

10th April 2016 – I had enough trouble with finding a leak in the old accommodation. There was always some water. I had a closer look and discovered three small holes in the shield of the cabin. When I started chipping the rust, they became bigger. Welding was not an option. There was nearly no metal left and the chance of having a fire was to big. I sanded down the old paint, put a good coat of primer and put silicone in the holes. Many people will not agree with me on this solution, but if you come up with another option, please let me know!

While fixing the issue, my mother continued painting the inside and cleaning everything up.

Aquarel – Putting the search light

6th April 2016 – An old skipper made the remark the wheelhouse roof isn’t looking right or traditional. I still had a search light left from a previous conversion and decided it was time to put it on the roof. This was a job I always tried to postpone since I’m afraid of creating a leak in the ceiling.

Aquarel – Behind the wheelhouse

2nd April 2016 – At the back of the wheelhouse is a small hatch. It contained the ‘outdoor’ kitchen of the ship. I removed the roof years ago, but I wanted something back. I started building a frame with some sheets, so the back of the wheelhouse stays dry and I could stand there whenever I wanted to.

Aquarel – Leakage and silicon

29th March 2016 – The afternoon started rainy. I mounted two light fittings, one in the bedroom and one in the bar. It took me over two hours to get the job done. I would never buy fittings from that brand again.

Weather was clearing up so I had a look at my leaking air vent. I couldn’t find the leak, only the damage it had caused. I decided to clean the rust from the inside and put a good layer of silicon on it. I did the same on the outside and closed the whole of the vent.

The silicon in the wheelhouse between the wood and the glass was nearly gone. I redid every window and a few gaps. I will have to find a solution of for the future. Half of the wheelhouse is being held together with silicon.

Years ago, I received a nice search light from Andy as a Christmas gift. I drilled a few holes in the roof and mounted the light. While doing so I noticed small wholes in the ceiling and some water. Since I had ran out of silicon, it will be the first job to do tomorrow.

In the corner of the wheelhouse is a small bench. It used to be full of water when I bought the ship. Last time I looked was somewhere in October last year. It was dry. hen I opened it now, it was full of water, running into the engine room and probably in the old accommodation as well. I started with a glass to remove the water. Since it was to much, I just drilled a whole in the wheelhouse to drain it. I hope with sealing the windows, I have stopped the leak. If not, I need to have closer look and therefore empty the wheelhouse.