7th November 2017 – I just taped a bit of my roof with aluminum tape. It will hold for now and at least it should stop the water from coming in and the wood can now start to dry out.
6th November 2017 – It was still leaking. I think water is coming from somewhere else….
5th November 2017 – Soon after getting up, I checked the wheelhouse. Dry on the side, but a new leak one meter further. With the remaining silicon, I managed to do something.
29th October 2017 – The dashboard in the wheelhouse was no good anymore. I quickly built a new one in plywood. Finishing it will be for later. It is now important that it holds the meters and that the cables become connected to it.
I have two switch panels and a battery meter. There is a bilge alarm and that is it. The idea is to keep it simple.
28th October 2017 – The front desk for the Library needed some finishing and a good coat of paint.
While I was aboard, I did some smaller jobs like putting a wooden beam underneath the cover of the lifeboat. So the rainwater will no longer be collected in the cover.
24th October 2017 – Sometimes you need to run the engines to keep everything in a good order. Last time, when we moved Tordino, the batteries of the bow thruster were dead. So I made a plan of charging them every month.
23rd October 2017 – We had to move the Arma. She was moored where a dredging company had to work. The company had a strong pusher and together with the bowtruster of the Arma, we managed to get to the other side. Halfway the manoeuvre, the bow DAF engine died and we had to rely on the pusher.
18th October 2017 – When I moved onto my ship several years ago, the meetbrief was still having the old address where I lived before. To get a permission to have radio equipment aboard, I had to change this document. There are two options:
- driving to Schoten (Antwerp) or
- changing it in Ostend.
It is one of these administrative hassles you just need to do, but it nearly takes you half a day to do so.
15th October 2017 – I did some sanding and painting of the roof top of the kitchen. Some of the paint got damaged when the radar was taken off and later mounted back…
14th October 2017 – I finally found some time again to work on the Watergeus. A small job, with a good result. I mounted two fire extinguishers, on in the income and one in the kitchen.
13th October 2017 – The Library room needs a desk where people can ask for information or request books and documents from our archive. It needs to divide the storage of books and the area where people can read books.
I spent some time building the desk. It isn’t finished, but you get the idea.
29th September 2017 – I finally started on the Watergeus. Yesterday we did some small repairs, made the anchor winch turn and removed some old fuel pipes. Seems simple, but it did take a lot of time.
Today, I finished removing the old wires from the wheelhouse and engine room.
29th September 2017 – A job I was hating was removing the old wiring. I had to check every wire there was. No matter how carefully I was, the light went out in the engine room anyway.
28th September 2017 – There is a lot of pitting on deck. It has been there before I bought her, but it is hard to maintain and I believed the metal was weak underneath. While chipping, we discovered it was rotten. Some parts on deck have been doubled where it was the worst. Other parts will be done at a later stage since I ran out of metal. Most of my spare parts are still on Tordino.
Between the engine room and the storage unit used to be a bulkhead. It was removed when the Watergeus became a water supply ship. In February, I rebuild most of the bulkhead. The bottom plate had to be done, but there were some pipes running through from an old fuel tank. We disconnected the fuel tank, so I can easily remove the fuel pipes and the old fuel pump.
In the afternoon, we managed to get the anchor winch running again. She was stuck. After removing the brakes and spraying a lot of wd40, she started turning…
I made two holes in the wheelhouse for the wiring. To prevent rain from coming in, I welded two rvs pipes. Some brackets for the lights were mounted and the day was over…
Some friends moored alongside late in the evening, we had a drink and time to close the day!
26th September 2017 – While I was in Ghent, i took some time to walk along the ‘Oude Dokken’ and take some pictures. A lot of these ships have changed since they moved to the other side. It is certainly becoming a nice area to live!