1st May 2016 – Still recovering from yesterdays party aboard the ship, the people who stayed wanted to organize a BBQ. So the party in the event yesterday became a small two-day festival. Nice weather, for the first time in weeks. It was a great weekend and I never enjoyed my ship more then I did then!
30th April 2016 – Today is a special day. The hold is looking finished. I still have to do the plumbing, heating, ventilation and some decoration. The ship is hundred years old and this means there is something to celebrate.
I organized a private party for some friends in the evening. I’m happy with the result. Some friends came earlier to load the beer on the ship and to build a tent in case it would be raining.
During the evening I walked several times outside. With only some light coming through, she looked good. Colored lights in the hold , LED lights outside and people having fun. It felt right!I am proud of the result.
25th April 2016 – The light fittings were mounted and some of the pictures. I glued the frames to the wall so they would stay straight and don’t fall of.
20th April 2016 – Some more photographs of the hold. The last details…
16th April 2016 – The hold area is nearly ready and getting into shape. She will be ready for exhibitions and a permanent museum in the near future. You can already have a look at my site: http://www.museumschip.be .
I welded two supports for the zwierbomen. At least the deck looks cleaner now when they are in their brackets.
14th April 2016 – My neighbour in Beernem is cleaning his ship. He had an old small lifeboat. Instead of cutting it up, I took it with me. Hope to use it this summer to make some fun on the water…
13th April 2016 – I continued on the small roof at the back of the wheelhouse. While working, I noticed a few of the nails that are holding the zinc roof became loose. I put an air horn on the side of the wheelhouse. Connecting it to a small compressor is another job for later.
10th April 2016 – I had enough trouble with finding a leak in the old accommodation. There was always some water. I had a closer look and discovered three small holes in the shield of the cabin. When I started chipping the rust, they became bigger. Welding was not an option. There was nearly no metal left and the chance of having a fire was to big. I sanded down the old paint, put a good coat of primer and put silicone in the holes. Many people will not agree with me on this solution, but if you come up with another option, please let me know!
While fixing the issue, my mother continued painting the inside and cleaning everything up.
8th April 2016 – Just another update with some pictures:
6th April 2016 – An old skipper made the remark the wheelhouse roof isn’t looking right or traditional. I still had a search light left from a previous conversion and decided it was time to put it on the roof. This was a job I always tried to postpone since I’m afraid of creating a leak in the ceiling.
2nd April 2016 – At the back of the wheelhouse is a small hatch. It contained the ‘outdoor’ kitchen of the ship. I removed the roof years ago, but I wanted something back. I started building a frame with some sheets, so the back of the wheelhouse stays dry and I could stand there whenever I wanted to.
29th March 2016 – The afternoon started rainy. I mounted two light fittings, one in the bedroom and one in the bar. It took me over two hours to get the job done. I would never buy fittings from that brand again.
Weather was clearing up so I had a look at my leaking air vent. I couldn’t find the leak, only the damage it had caused. I decided to clean the rust from the inside and put a good layer of silicon on it. I did the same on the outside and closed the whole of the vent.
The silicon in the wheelhouse between the wood and the glass was nearly gone. I redid every window and a few gaps. I will have to find a solution of for the future. Half of the wheelhouse is being held together with silicon.
Years ago, I received a nice search light from Andy as a Christmas gift. I drilled a few holes in the roof and mounted the light. While doing so I noticed small wholes in the ceiling and some water. Since I had ran out of silicon, it will be the first job to do tomorrow.
In the corner of the wheelhouse is a small bench. It used to be full of water when I bought the ship. Last time I looked was somewhere in October last year. It was dry. hen I opened it now, it was full of water, running into the engine room and probably in the old accommodation as well. I started with a glass to remove the water. Since it was to much, I just drilled a whole in the wheelhouse to drain it. I hope with sealing the windows, I have stopped the leak. If not, I need to have closer look and therefore empty the wheelhouse.
28th March 2016 – Just an update with some pictures of what has been going on lately:
18th March 2016 – I had the assistance of some friend to remove the remaining part of the wheelhouse. In the meantime, I started building the entrance. A had two metal doors and a sliding hatch from another ship. It looks traditional, but there is a lot of work to make it fit. At some point, I started doubting whether I should use it or not…
17th March 2016 – The current wheelhouse is ugly and not solid. It is big and made out of the wrong materials. The previous owner built it to double the inside space of the ship, a nice idea. I would like her to look a bit more traditional. Separating the wheelhouse from the accommodation and having a descent engine room. The current floor is built on the engine.
I estimated removing the wheelhouse would be a two day job. I’m only half the man I used to be…