Aquarel – Insulating the ceiling

6th January 2015 – A bit cold to work late in the evening. After a few hours, it was warm enough. Insulating the ceiling, building frames and mounting the sheets of multiplex. Progress is visible again!

In some ways, I’m starting to doubt whether the ceiling will hold. The frame might be bending or breaking. I don’t know exactly how to solve it, something to think about and not to sleep the next couple of days.

Furnes

4th January 2015 – Taking pictures for future generations is important. A lot of ships go to the scrapyard or are getting converted to a floating object, you will never recognize their origin. I went to Furnes to take some pictures. A blue sky, not to cold and dry. The perfect weather for a relaxing afternoon!

Aquarel – T&G…

3rd January 2015 – Just continuing where I stopped yesterday. Shooting nails, cutting t&g, measuring and seeing how much progress I’m making. The packs of wood are going quickly, the ceiling isn’t…

Small update

21st December 2014 – As usual, it is busy and my body isn’t recovering from a cold as it should be. I wonder why…

Progress is slow on the Aquarel, I’ve done some more insulation, cleaning up, T&g and I mounted the chimney piece for the diesel heather in the hold.

Aquarel – Mounting the chimney pipe

20th December 2014 – Dry weather, but a lot of wind. I decided for a go and cut a few holes in the ceiling. One was for air ventilation at the entrance of the hold. The second one was for the chimney pipe. The cutting was the easiest part. It took some time since I had to run downstairs several times to check if everything was safe. I had nobody to help me with checking for fire or smoke…

Aquarel – Lining out the den

1st December 2014 – Just the morning free to do some work on the boat. I finished lining out the den on the other side. It now has a good thick layer of insulation and one layer of multiplex. The T&G will be for another day…

Aquarel – Cleaning bilges

23rd November 2014 – First job was to clean the dirt that I made yesterday. Some water in the bilges, a lot of dust and some old wood. I was little motivated, so I didn’t do much in adding some new wood to the sides. Will be for tomorrow…

Aquarel – Lowering a metal sheet in the hold

22nd November 2014 – Getting one sheet of 3m by 1.5m in the hold through a hatch of of 1m by 1.2m is not an easy job when you have no tools and only two people to do the job. It took some time, but after half an hour the sheet was in position and ready to be welded to the bottom of the frame. The frame is used to hold the watertanks in position and the sheet will make sure the water that could leak from the tanks is captured before it gets to the bilges of the boat.

Some more bits and corners were welded today. I make the promise to myself not weld the next month and just tidy up the ship. All metal is gone from the hatches, the lifeboat was cleaned and the mast painted. With a jack, I managed to lift up the mast for 40cm. This made it easier for giving it a second coat of paint.

Aquarel – Emptying the hold

18th November 2014 – Cleaning the hold is always a major issue with me. Somewhere next week we have to lower a big sheet of metal through the new hatch. Seems easy, but my wood supply lies underneath that hatch and my tools are located where I should put that sheet…

I have to much stuff in the hold…

Aquarel – Some more ceiling

13th November 2014 – It is not good when you start abandoning your boat conversion for other things. Then again, I now realize more then before there is more then just working on a boat. Anyway, it was time to do something. Another few square meters of ceiling are finished. It is an intensive and annoying job. Insulation, multiplex and t&g, and from every layer, some dust gets into your eyes.