Category: MS Hornblower - page 4

Hornblower – Primer to protect the metal

5th November 2012 – While the old windows were in the wheelhouse, most of the metal work got badly damaged by leaks. I removed the rust, and put a lot of rubber to protect it. I believe in paint when it is a dry area. I never know if the new windows will leak one day. When there is an interior it takes a long time before you realize it. Therefore I’m using rubber. It becomes hard after a few days. The only way to remove the rubber is a grinding tool or a torch.

Hornblower – Rain and leaks

3rd November 2012 – It has been raining continuously for nearly a weak. I was home, in bed but with worries about my three leaking windows.

When I had a look in the boat, I discovered many more leaks. Two portholes were leaking, they were always dry before. The air vent in the living room, the three windows in the wheelhouse, the search light, the brackets of the hatch on the front of the ship, etc…

There was some sunshine in the afternoon. I used this period to close the leaks and to weld the brackets of the hatch properly. It was everything except a nice experience today.

Hornblower- Frame in the wheelhouse

25th October 2012 – Building a frame is one of the jobs I like doing most. I spent the evening building the frame for the side of of the wheelhouse. When building the frame, you can easily see how the room will look like. The frame must be solid and there should be enough supports. otherwise the panels won’t hold or will start bending.

Hornblower – A quick paint job

23rd October 2012 – I should have taken some pictures before I started painting. Nevertheless, I painted the top of the wheelhouse, around the windows. It was all black or painted with a gray prime. In the last month, the Hornblower didn’t look that great. She was covered in a big sail or she looked dirty. By painting it quickly, I made a big difference.

Hornblower – 200 meters of duct tape

22nd October 2012 – The windows are finished and so is most of the welding aboard the Hornblower. All the covers are gone and she looks like a real ship again. I removed the card board from the windows, including over 200 meter of duck tape.

Pictures will follow when I have time.