Author: frederic - page 64

Small update

21st December 2014 – As usual, it is busy and my body isn’t recovering from a cold as it should be. I wonder why…

Progress is slow on the Aquarel, I’ve done some more insulation, cleaning up, T&g and I mounted the chimney piece for the diesel heather in the hold.

Aquarel – Mounting the chimney pipe

20th December 2014 – Dry weather, but a lot of wind. I decided for a go and cut a few holes in the ceiling. One was for air ventilation at the entrance of the hold. The second one was for the chimney pipe. The cutting was the easiest part. It took some time since I had to run downstairs several times to check if everything was safe. I had nobody to help me with checking for fire or smoke…

Aquarel – Lining out the den

1st December 2014 – Just the morning free to do some work on the boat. I finished lining out the den on the other side. It now has a good thick layer of insulation and one layer of multiplex. The T&G will be for another day…

Aquarel – Cleaning bilges

23rd November 2014 – First job was to clean the dirt that I made yesterday. Some water in the bilges, a lot of dust and some old wood. I was little motivated, so I didn’t do much in adding some new wood to the sides. Will be for tomorrow…

Aquarel – Lowering a metal sheet in the hold

22nd November 2014 – Getting one sheet of 3m by 1.5m in the hold through a hatch of of 1m by 1.2m is not an easy job when you have no tools and only two people to do the job. It took some time, but after half an hour the sheet was in position and ready to be welded to the bottom of the frame. The frame is used to hold the watertanks in position and the sheet will make sure the water that could leak from the tanks is captured before it gets to the bilges of the boat.

Some more bits and corners were welded today. I make the promise to myself not weld the next month and just tidy up the ship. All metal is gone from the hatches, the lifeboat was cleaned and the mast painted. With a jack, I managed to lift up the mast for 40cm. This made it easier for giving it a second coat of paint.

Aquarel – Emptying the hold

18th November 2014 – Cleaning the hold is always a major issue with me. Somewhere next week we have to lower a big sheet of metal through the new hatch. Seems easy, but my wood supply lies underneath that hatch and my tools are located where I should put that sheet…

I have to much stuff in the hold…

Aquarel – Some more ceiling

13th November 2014 – It is not good when you start abandoning your boat conversion for other things. Then again, I now realize more then before there is more then just working on a boat. Anyway, it was time to do something. Another few square meters of ceiling are finished. It is an intensive and annoying job. Insulation, multiplex and t&g, and from every layer, some dust gets into your eyes.

Aquarel – Green mast

8th November 2014 – Half a day, that is what I can spend on the boat this weekend…. I did some ceiling and painted the mast green. It was the only visible piece of metal that was looking rusty. At least, it now looks more acceptable to the public and the metal is protected. I will continue on the mast somewhere next year, once the inside of the ship is finished.

Aquarel – Ceiling

3rd November 2014 – Every minute I can work on the Aquarel, I’ll try to do so. The ceiling is a major work. I have to do it alone and the sheets of multiplex are heavy. I already cut them in half, but even then, it is struggling to hold them while I add a few screws….

Aquarel – Entrance hatch

1st November 2014 – Nearly ready for my winter stop. It has been enough for this year. I must admit I haven’t done as much as planned since August. Nevertheless I’m happy with what has been done.

Same mistake as on the Watergeus, I have no big entrance left to the hold for big stuff or artwork. So I needed a hatch for lowering stuff to the hold. The hatch can’t be that high since my aluminum hatches must cover it. I want to look like a traditional ship and nothing is going to change this.

It took all day to build the hatch and mount it. I haven’t tried it yet since it was dark when I stopped working.

Website update

26th October 2014 – I’m updating the site again, adding more text and pictures. At the other hand, it is very busy on the Aquarel? I made myself a deadline for the ceiling to be finished before the end of November. I’m in no hurry with this project, but it starts to take to much time….

Watergeus – Update of the last two months

25th October 2014 – The last two months I started working on the Watergeus. It is difficult to update day-by-day, so I’m putting a small update together….

In the early days, a Luxe motor had a railing around the back accommodation. Mine was removed when she became a water supply vessel. Since I always want my ships to look as traditional as possible, a new railing was built.

While working around the back accommodation, we moved the blue sign behind the wheelhouse, as it once was. At least it looks better and I have more room between the wheelhouse and the tabernakels to walk.

In front of the wheelhouse is a terras. I want a cover over it so when it rains, I can still sit outside. It took some time, but the frame is now ready. I will order a cover next year.

I hadn’t paint the Watergeus for two to three years. Some parts were not maintained for longer. It was getting time to remove the old paint and rust. I was surprised to see how much damage rust can do in a short period.

Shipyard closed!

24th October 2014 – It is all in the press at the moment. The yard in Rupelmonde has closed. They went bankrupt. It was one of the last good yards where you could dry dock your boat in Belgium. I was there a few days ago to take some pictures and now it’s over…