Month: January 2014

Aquarel – Framing the hold

29th January 2014 – Since the floor is nearly finished I can start thinking about framing the hold. This looks easy, but it needs a lot of planning. I want to keep the maximum of space, but I need to have ten centimeters between the framework and the metal for spraying insulation foam.

At the end of the evening, I managed to build a sample of the frame for the den. To clear my mind, I painted some more of the metal in the hold….


Aquarel – Welding frames on the floor

25th January 2014 – In the early morning, I started welding the remaining frames for the floor. Once finished, the whole framework was painted and the wood bolted to it.

By the end of the day the floor was nearly ready. It is so much nicer to walk on a decent floor then to step from one rib to the other….

Aquarel – Cleaning the hold

14th January 2014 – The first day I’m working again aboard the Aquarel. My grinder felt into several pieces, this was the end of continuing on my floor. Since I was there, I decided to clean the hold and to finish the woodwork around the diesel heather.

Aquarel – Cosy corner in the Wheelhouse

4th January 2014 – In the morning, I started cleaning some of the bilges. One square meter gave me two buckets of grease and rust. Everywhere I see a bolt, it is the moment to weld it. Saves me trouble later! I keep saying: it is a shame and a big stupidity to drill holes through her original hull and put bolts into her wooden floor from underneath!

Later that day I finished my entrance hatch and in the evening I worked on the wheelhouse, starting to make the corner where the diesel heather will come. I have to raise the heather a little bit since her exhaust doesn’t come to the hole at the back of the wheelhouse.



The heatpol heather has a long history. I bought it for the Hornblower when I was in Holland. I bought it back from the new owners of the Hornblower and installed it now aboard the Aquarel. Besides heating the room, you can also use it for cooking.