Author: frederic - page 90

Hornblower – Removing the wheelhouse floor

28th December 2011 – In the morning I removed the floor in the wheelhouse. Together with my neighbour, we put the metal sheets aboard the Hornblower. If I need them, at least, they are inside and easier to get in position. They have a weight of 90kg each and very heavy to handle.

In the afternoon, I started cleaning the bilges. There is so much that needs to be done. Actually, I just don’t know where to start. The tanks need to be mounted to the ceiling, the bilges need a good clean, the engine is dirty, there are hundreds of meters of electricity wires hanging around, there is plenty of wooden floor left in the engine room, etc….

Historical ships on the move

24th December 2011 – Friends called me they had seen some nice ships coming to Bruges. They recommended me taking the car and have a look at them, so I did.

It was a Steilsteven built in 1906 at the Boelwerf in Temse and a spits barge from 1893 built in Bruges. Both ships are restoration projects.

Water level

21st December 2011 – It has been raining for over a week. Water level has raised and lowered on different times. It has been a difference of nearly two meters between low and high water. This means we have to adjust our ropes nearly every day. When the water is on its highest point, rubbish that has been floating around gets stuck on the wooden supports on land. We need to clean this. If we don’t, it starts smelling badly!

Hornblower – A dry boat

17th December 2011 – It had been raining all week.  There was a lot of wind. The only water that came in was through the wheelhouse doors and windows. It felt good to know the boat is dry!

In the morning I did some T&G in the living room, in the afternoon I went to pick up my new car. I went for a small van. More useful then an Opel Corsa.

Hornblower – Living room (part II)

5th December 2011 – I started on the other side of the living room. I didn’t get as far as I planned, but following the curve of the ship takes a lot of time.

I wonder how much time the bathroom will take. This area has several corners, and different curves….

It took me five years to convert the Watergeus with the help of my parents and some friends. The original plan was to convert the Hornblower in three years. If continue at this rate, she might be ready by next winter. I’ve now run out of wood and money, so this might stop me for some time…