27th September 2018 – I just got the news the Watergeus will be dry-docked around the 15th October instead of next Monday. Nothing I can change, so I have another week of small stuff I can do aboard my ship.
Category: MS Watergeus - page 3
24th September 2018 – The Watergeus hasn’t moved since a few years. Not very professional. I started undoing the ropes of one neighbour. Her boat is now attached to the wooden support of the canal. I did a small paint job in the engine room and sealed a forgotten hole in the bulkhead. The exhaust of the generator is now also insulated.
At the end of the evening, I welded a broken bracket on my anchor winch. All jobs I should have done in summer time…
10th September 2018 – Preparing the Watergeus for the yard is more then just filling up the tanks and getting the right tools aboard. I let the engine run with the shaft on for about two hours. Temperature was fine and never got over 80°C.
While the engine was running, I cleaned the wheelhouse. It was a storage unit for the last couple of years.
18th August 2018 – In the morning I went to an auction on maritime objects. I bought some nice pieces for Museumschip Tordino and for the Watergeus. I had been looking for some time to get myself a proper ship’s bell.
After I moved paintings and objects from the Watergeus to my museum, my living space started looking empty, soulless. I found a few nice decorative items I will now mount.
I spent painting a part of the gangway in the afternoon. The outside needs to be looking good as well!
17th August 2018 – So much grinding todo….
- Removing the old ballast tank: job failed after two square meters. This will become a long lsting project.
- Grinding the remains of the old box of the generator: partly done until my machine started overheating
16th August 2018 – The generator was removed today. At least some more space on the front deck. It took us three people to get it of the boat.
You need to put the dimensions of your ship and the Certificate number on both sides of the ship. I made some wooden name signs and welded a bracket today.
I grinded some rust of the deck in the evening.
15th August 2018 – Another item on my list of upgrading the Watergeus is mounting a porthole in the engine room door. This is something I wanted to do for years.
14th August 2018 – Years ago, I welded a metal box on the front deck for a generator. I’ve never used it and now it is time to remove it along with several other objects. The old petrol engine for the anchor winch, a support for a bench vise and some old brackets were also removed. I now have some space on deck and it looks more like when she was a commercial barge!
26th July 2018 – In between talking with the police and fire brigade or the neighbours, I tried filling up my water tanks and those of my neighbour.
There was a massive oil spill on the Canal. Civil services were still cleaning around 2 o’clock at night. We have no idea where it was coming from.
25th July 2018 – After more then a year, I finally cut the last metal sheet for the engine room bulkhead. It was lowered in the hold, but mounting will be for another day. To hot to work!
7th April 2018 – After being away for one month, Watergeus needed some attention. I cleaned the remaining hatches with a high pressure cleaner. The other half was done somewhere last year. Gangways were cleaned and watertanks refilled.
In the late afternoon, I went with two neighbours on our small boat for a trip along the other boats and small canals. The start of the season!
21st February 2018 – I mounted my two VHF antennas on the roof of the wheelhouse. This was one of the last things on my list. Now I just need to close a bulkhead and make my anchor winch work again!
22nd January 2018 – Navigation lights are running, so is the blue board, the horn, the radio’s and much more! My 12v circuit is working. It feels good to know that another thing on my list is done. Next thing is to clean up the engine room and get the engine running.
12th January 2018 – All the wires in the wheelhouse had to be connected to three switch panels. Maybe a mistake I made, I should have counted how many instruments I had because three panels aren’t really enough. It took us several hours to get it all connected. Testing will be for another moment.
10th January 2018 – Just unloaded three fuel drums to put clean fuel in, while I can clean my tank for the journey in May. I removed some rubbish from the engine room, it starts to look clean.
Once the bulkhead is finished, I can do some updates on the paintwork.